4x4 not working

BigTonka

Reaction score
This morning I go to put my truck in 4 wheel drive and get no light and no 4x4. Any common area's I should look at? 06 CCSB 6.0 with ESOF.

TheRobenator

Reaction score
Sometimes the motor on the side will either get unplugged or go bad. Take the 3 bolts that hold it on off and take the motor off. Leave it plugged up and with the key in the "ON" position, turn your 4wd on and off, if the motor moves, you probably have some damage inside of the T-case, if it doesn,t move, then check to see if the plug is getting power. If the plug is getting power, the motor is bad. If it isn't, wiring issue.

BigTonka

Reaction score
thanks for the advise I plan on checking things out tomorrow after work. Just had a bunch of high pressure oil leaks fixed hope its just something stupid.

Jomax

Reaction score
My issue ended up being the motor was bad. I went with a Dorman from oreillys almost half the price as ford and lifetime warrentt6

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TheRobenator

Reaction score
I had recently had to do one at my shop for a customer who complained that his 4x4 just stopped working. Apparently someone had stolen his the night before when he went to walmart! Worst part was finding the bolts from my parts bin to put the new motor back on haha.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Mine is squealing when I try to take it out of 4x4. And it only comes out when I'm moving slow. Wouldn't go into 4lo when I tried a little while ago either. Haven't tried 4lo since though. Think it's time for a new motor?

Last edited:

BigTonka

Reaction score
ok need some more help. Had the truck at the dealer for some other stuff and they took a little look. Told me that the "found relays missing ground from GEM MOD".

Where is the GEM MOD?
any other help would be great.

Jomax

Reaction score
It's behind the inside fuse panel and it's a PITA to get to lol. Can have a lot of issues with them if you've had a leaky windshield at any point.

Had mine out trying to find my 4wd issue. It's wasn't too hard just a PITA.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
06 doesn't have a "GEM mod". Ask that dealer if they can tell you where the 4x4 control module is. If they can't, take it some where else, and no it's not built into the GEM mod

dsberman94

Reaction score
^I knew something didn't sound quite right here.^ if only the dealerships knew what they were talking about.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Did the dealer know? It's behind the glove box, usually to the right of the upfitter switch relay box.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.