4x4 problems

the kitch

Reaction score
So yesterday i was driving home int the snow and i engaged four wheel drive it kicked in went good for a while til i hit a hill and noticed it kicked off or i lost vaccum not sure but i flipped the switch back to two wheel drive and let the 4x4 light turn off then turned it back on and it worked again for a short distance could this be the actuator or vaccum hubs my truck is a 2006 f-250

thanks Kyle

Zmann

Reaction score
you don't loose vacuum ,, the hubs likely didn't lock at all

they don't require constant vacuum just a short signal to lock and unlock

then it's done

the light on the dash only nows if the transfer case is locked into lo or hi

you can have a few fail points

the vac pump/a vac leak / the esof valve that sends the signal to the hubs/ a vac line

a seal in the knuckle or hub

Zmann

Reaction score
ps u can lock in manually and leave it locked until you get it resolved

CCRICE

Reaction score
There is a way to manually take it out of 4wd. I can't remember where I saw it but it involves pulling the torque converter motor. It's not hard. You might have a bad esof relay keeping it locked in.

I just re read your post. Is the torque converter locked still? Or is it just the light? I'd try pulling the two relays out by the drivers side battery and see if it goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
I must say

WTF ????

the torque converter has nothing at all to do with the 4x4 system engaging

the transfer case and hubs have everything to do with it

Zmann

Reaction score
Never happens to Me when I drink

I get smarter and better looking

and make a point of avoiding reading any threads I posted in the next day after drinking LOL

We have a guy right now with his truck stuck in Mexico and He needs to get the TC locked in so He can drive out but We can't figure out if it's possible

I don't think so because the ESOF motor moves the forks and holds them in place so IDK

CCRICE

Reaction score
Haha I like to think that when I drink also, but I prove myself wrong time and time again. Lmao.

Sucks about your buddy's truck. I spent like 2 hours troubleshooting mine and barley got out of where I was in 2wd. Luckily it was the esof relays.

Skiernan

Reaction score
I gotta 2005 6.0 f-250, my four wheel doesn't do anything when i engage the switch, no noise, or anything. I recently had the dash off, and unplugged the switch, there isnt a reset process is there?

Zmann

Reaction score
no reset

check your manual there are a few fuses and some relays that can fail also the shift motor its self can fail ,, you should def hear that try to move the forks when u shift the lever

CCRICE

Reaction score
I gotta 2005 6.0 f-250, my four wheel doesn't do anything when i engage the switch, no noise, or anything. I recently had the dash off, and unplugged the switch, there isnt a reset process is there?

I had the same issue, turned out it was the relays in that little box by the drivers side battery. In the owners manual its after the page with fuses on it(just for reference of something to check).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.