5.9 Con Guys, Tranny Q's?

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
So Im planning on doing a cummins swap down the road, either 12v or CR motor. When I eventually do it I am going to redo the whole truck, The question I have is about what transmission to go behind it? I have heard that no one makes a good standalone controller for my 5R110, is this true? If I could keep the torqshift I definitely would but I dont want to have a huge headache and never have it working like I want it to. The second choice for me would be a ZF6, but again it would be a lot more time, money, and effort to find parts and swap it all over. I dont know much about any other transmissions that would be good to swap, can you guys fill me in? Can I just keep my 5R110?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
You can keep your 5r if you want. Tadd at Elite understands that transmission better than anybody I know. He would be the guy I'd go to for help. However, if you can afford it.... there's nothing a 5.9/6.7 likes more than a built 4r100. That's the route I'd go

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
Personally I would save on the pcs and adapter plates and use it to mildly build a dodge tranny (47rh/48re).

Or

Manual swap with a double disk and be done forever.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I am looking in to the same stuff. I have everything from DCS to complete my swap. But 75% of people say its impossible to get the trans tuned right, the other 25% says DCS has their chit together and can do it foryou. I am ccurrently looking for a p-pumped donner truck with a standard because thats the easiest way. If I don't find one this week, then next weekend I will just put the 12v in on the 5r. Good luck in your swap, hope it all works out for you.

Chris

Reaction score
Id do a 4r100. It definately costs more, but itll be done right the first time. Weve tried the 5r route. One day itd shift fine, the next day it wouldnt. Just really inconsistent. Same truck we removed the 5r and went to a 48re running it with the stock dodge ecm. It was better, but that particur trans ate overdrive clutches like they were going out of style. Removed the 48re and put in a 4r100. Truck has been flawless since, and is faster with the same amount of hp.

ncollins64

Reaction score
i personally like a 4r100 behind a cummins. i had a bts 4r behind a 1k hp 6.7 cummins and never had a problem. but i guess time, money, and finding parts could change things up a bit

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
I am looking in to the same stuff. I have everything from DCS to complete my swap. But 75% of people say its impossible to get the trans tuned right, the other 25% says DCS has their chit together and can do it foryou. I am ccurrently looking for a p-pumped donner truck with a standard because thats the easiest way. If I don't find one this week, then next weekend I will just put the 12v in on the 5r. Good luck in your swap, hope it all works out for you.

Whatever you do keep me updated on how it goes. Im not going to be doing this for a long time and want all the info I can get.

Project20v

Reaction score
4r100 or ZF6, I sold my ATS 4r for a ZF6 setup. You have to be a manual guy to go with the ZF though. If you want to race you need the 4r. If you are a heavy tow guy you can't beat the ZF6, it's made for tow capability, but that's about it. I love mine, I think I'm done with auto's, too many headaches when you jack up the power, at least in my experience.

Many will come in and say their auto when built is perfect and that's great, but 4 speeds sucks balls for towing and I'm always thinking about getting stranded. The 4r has it's place and I think it's for a track/street/play truck.

Don't get all wound up, it's just my opinion. In the end you can break anything, but the ZF6-S750 has the edge on reliability/durability.

Last edited:

Fummins64

Reaction score
I have a ZF6 in my 00 12v Fummins, looking to get rid of it and go to a 4R100, I don't tow heavy often anymore and would like to play at the track a little. If anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Members online