5r110 disabling 1st gear.

swinky

Reaction score
I'm looking at going to a shorter tire and I know the 1-2 shift will be god awful and happen 15ft out of the hole. I want to run a 27.5 inch tire and leave the line in 2nd, get about 20ft out and hit the lockup switch and nitrous shortly after.

The 5r 2nd gear is 2.22:1
The 4r 1st gear is 2.71:1

If my math is right a 5r in 2nd with 27.5" tires will be about the same as a 4r in first with 33" tires. I think that's acceptable.

If this works out the 330ft will improve greatly, it will get into 6th quicker and make one less shift.

Now can it be done just through tuning, pcs, wire a switch into a solenoid?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
should be able to do it through tuning. You may or may not have to manually select 2nd then put it back in D as you're pulling up to the line. Or if you go into 2nd during the burnout, it shouldn't be an issue.

maybe see if your tuner can set your tow-haul mode up to be your "track" setting and make it start in 2nd?

swinky

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. I'll email GH today. The 1-2 shift is gonna be a cluster *** with short tires.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Interesting thought, Mine definitely hates life 1-3rd gears shifting before the 300ft mark lol

swinky

Reaction score
I talked with haller earlier and I could do it with a pcs but not sure it's worth the hassle.

Next time I go to the track I'll put the gear selector in 2 and launch the *** out of it till it hits the rev limiter.

Compare 60fts vs first gear.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I've done that in 3rd gear by mistake lol.

But if it can be dont can't hurt to try it out. Cheaper than changing gears

Are you watching your top speed? With that short of tire I would be worried about it. What gears do you have? 3.73?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
should be able to do it through tuning. You may or may not have to manually select 2nd then put it back in D as you're pulling up to the line. Or if you go into 2nd during the burnout, it shouldn't be an issue.

maybe see if your tuner can set your tow-haul mode up to be your "track" setting and make it start in 2nd?

I was thinking the same thing about putting the gear selector in 2nd and then bumping it up D... but that seems like a crap shoot when flying down the track, it would be to easy to slip up into N or R.

I am 90% sure it can be done in tuning.

swinky

Reaction score
I've done that in 3rd gear by mistake lol.

But if it can be dont can't hurt to try it out. Cheaper than changing gears

Are you watching your top speed? With that short of tire I would be worried about it. What gears do you have? 3.73?
3.73. I should be okay. If I can trap 120 I'll be happy.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Trapped 139 with 3.73s and 29.5 tires. Why are you going to a 27 inch tire

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
Trapped 139 with 3.73s and 29.5 tires. Why are you going to a 27 inch tire

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
b5e2aa4eb059e755b68fa618f7e5dbdf.jpg

I guess it's like 28.2.

I drive my truck hard on the street and want something that will last a little longer than a radial but hook better than a 420 or proxes.

I've never seen a 750+ hp truck with a 5r that didn't 1-2 shift like a bowl of dicks. It's just too soon after the launch.

Leaving in second and having gears 2-6 be a touch shorter will help a good bit in my mind.

What's porkchop say?

swinky

Reaction score
It really comes down to track prep. With the awful prep we have here a 450hp truck would benefit from radials.

Reaction score
It would be very easy to do. Same way we do it with the 6r140. Make it selectable even so when in tow haul it starts in second.

I can't tune your sct. But Matt should be able to set you up no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slightlymodded

Reaction score
Besides 420s and Proxes not holding up well for you, are you going to the invo for any other reason? Or just for the overall size for a better ratio to be able to launch in 2nd without a pointless 1-2 shift for one less shift down the track and quicker 60ft? Or both lol. I really like your idea of almost matching a 4r100s 1st gear ratio, since we already know that big hp 6.0s with 4rs leave hard, and with the shorter overall sidewall with the shorter tire will there be an issue of spinning or maybe hop since there might be less give in the tire?

Latest posts

Members online