5r110 help!

06/6.0

Reaction score
ok nice so even if the monitor is telling me my coolant temp is steady 198-202 its really about 100 or more degrees cooler in the bottom of the rad? if not cooler?

Reaction score
ok nice so even if the monitor is telling me my coolant temp is steady 198-202 its really about 100 or more degrees cooler in the bottom of the rad? if not cooler?

Yes this is how the radiator works.

Your coolant temp sensor is in the front cover on the engine side of the thermostat. Coolant flow is being restricted by the thermostat to get the engine to operating temp. If there was no temperature drop in the radiator or any of the coolers the system wouldn't work.

Reaction score
done everything but send the converter out think that might be all that could possibly be it at this point

So the pump blew up and you didn't send the converter out?

It doesn't matter what you do at this point, the damage is done. 5R pumps make a mess when they blow up. That junk is all through your coolers and trans again from the converter. Often times the end of the converter in the pump gets damaged too.

The only real option at this point is to pull the trans, have it taken apart and cleaned. Send the converter out for repair and probably get another new pump. You will need a new radiator and factory air cooler. Ditch the aftermarket stuff and flush all the cooler lines.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
:rockon: thats the kind of imformation i have been looking for! and thats also how i have allways understood it and everyone else i have talked to understands it

I am not a tranny expert... just posting my personal experience and observations.

In truthfulness I usually refer to Mark Kovalsky for most of my tranny questions.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Depending on the engine load and ambient, yes, that can happen.

In high ambient temps and max engine load you may only see a 15-20°F drop across the radiator. When it is -40°F ambient I've seen a 230°F drop from the 200°F engine temp to the ~-30°F coolant temp around the trans cooler. The trans cooler heated the coolant just a bit. The center of the radiator was at -40°F.

06/6.0

Reaction score
Yes this is how the radiator works.

Your coolant temp sensor is in the front cover on the engine side of the thermostat. Coolant flow is being restricted by the thermostat to get the engine to operating temp. If there was no temperature drop in the radiator or any of the coolers the system wouldn't work.
obviously

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
You and I think it's obvious, but so many people don't understand. I can't begin to count hoe many people have told me that the whole radiator is at the same temperature as the engine.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Depending on the engine load and ambient, yes, that can happen.

In high ambient temps and max engine load you may only see a 15-20°F drop across the radiator. When it is -40°F ambient I've seen a 230°F drop from the 200°F engine temp to the ~-30°F coolant temp around the trans cooler. The trans cooler heated the coolant just a bit. The center of the radiator was at -40°F.
Is the flow of transmission fluid thru the cooler controlled by a thermostat?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The flow out of the transmission is controlled by a thermostat. When the trans is cooler than a nominal 165°F the cooler flow is reduced by 90%.

Latest posts

Members online