5R110 vs. Allison 1000 6 speed

dieselpower

Reaction score
So I have a sibling who has a duramax, and he claimed up and down that the allison is the toughest trans out there. then he puts an edge with the hot unlock on it and can't run it above level 4 or it sounds like its a cvt LOL . level 4 might be 100-120 over stock, im not sure. Yet i have seen a 6.4 with a stock tranny dyno 540hp, and it sounded like it was shifting good yet...so which tranny is actualy tougher in stock form?

jdgleason

Reaction score
Before the trans is built, I will go ahead and tentatively say the 5r110 is tougher merely for the fact that it can be tuned. The allison cant be tuned like the 5r can, so the trans slips arpund 100 horse over stock. The thing with the allisons is that the parts inside of it dwarf any parts in most other trannies on the market. Stock for stock (not even tuned) its a crap shoot. Decide which tranny's behavior you like better and make a case off of that I guess. But they both hold very well in factory form and power level. I personally like how the allison shifts, but I would much rather have the 5r because its a workhorse and tunable. I will say you can find several 6.4s that spray on the dyno and make 700+ horse on a bone stock 5r. You wont find that on a stock allison. Also, rudy ran looooww 11s on a bone stock 5r for a while. Also wont find an allison that can do that.

dieselpower

Reaction score
thanks for the informative response, jdgleason. ya he always says that once his tranny learns it will shift great. had it for a year and it still hasn't learned LOL in my mind, the learning is crap unless you drive it hard 100% of the time, which it is a daily driver so the input varies. o well, every truck has ther ups and downs

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i think 5r wins no matter what, stock or modded, but i might be wrong.

Aaron went 9.75 on a 5r, not sure if many allisons have gone that fast, tretnell comes to mind but other than that i dont know.

dieselpower

Reaction score
ya i saw in the dpc this year that dmitri was gonna try the dodge 48RE. gues he has found the limits of his allison, which is high. what is he, about 1400-1700 hp? what does idaho rob run in his 9 second regular cab?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Allisons are garbage when it come to performance. The 5r110 is by far the strongest in stock form and does very well when modded. The the dodge 47RE/48RE trans is weak and sub par even in stock form, how ever once gone through its the toughest out there in modded form.

Goose

Reaction score
The 5r for sure. I have over 250k on my original/stock trans. That includes towing, pulling, racing and DD on my hottest tune for over 50k. The 5r in the 6.4s are stronger than in my 6.0.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
ya i saw in the dpc this year that dmitri was gonna try the dodge 48RE. gues he has found the limits of his allison, which is high. what is he, about 1400-1700 hp? what does idaho rob run in his 9 second regular cab?

rob and dimitri both run duraflytes

i dont know what happened with dimitri's but it didnt seam to hold

I think the proper way to do a duraflyte is with a manual valve body

David S.

Reaction score
5r hands down, especially when modded. On my old 6.0 I had 175k on the original tranny before I sold it, and 90k were on eric's extreme street tune

jdgleason

Reaction score
Dmitri made 1702 horse a year or so ago, and that was on an allison. He swapped out the allison for the duraflyte for the DPC, but that didnt last as long as he would have hoped. Last Dmitri said, he was gonna put the allison back in it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yep, Dmitri posted on facebook right after DPC that the alli was going back in. I believe the converter fried in his duraflyte... seemed to be a common theme this year at DPC for a lot of contenders though.

5R ftw!

Latest posts

Members online