5r110w Input Shaft needed/ Twisted says not covered

dohcter

Reaction score
Who Makes a decent input shaft. The billet one broke and still a piece stuck in the converter (any tips on getting it out)

:\ Rant warning:

I Broke the one in a stage 3 from twised diesel. Was pulling about 4500lbs, just pulled off the interestate, heading down a secondary road, made the 1-2 shift, shifted into 3rd and stopped moving (this was 2 weeks ago, called twisted and they said to pull it and send it in). Long story short, purchased this from Matt at cutting edge diesel used with 3-400 miles on it, he sent it in to twised and had the front pump replaced for a leak.I recived it from Twisted towards the end of november/early december with a slip of paper saying that there was 6 months warrenty left. Called them this moring and said that hard parts are not covered by the warrenty, and offered to sell me anther one....

The worst part is the truck doesnt make all that much power...60hp tips, tow powers, 6.0 manifolds, single stock k16, elite aid dog fb delete, Running innovative xtreme street with files for the trans. I abused the stock trans a bit(wouldnt shift from 3-5 under full throttle) but nothing ever broke in it.

end rant :\ now to fix it.. Thanks psa

74FAEDBC-F41A-41CF-AEA2-96041A612957_zpsagxs4gic.jpg

838B850B-2927-4763-9DB3-9F51750B5695_zpspq4yxmx3.jpg

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Sucks to hear your luck. Luckily inputs are relatively cheap compared to a lot of other parts in the trans. Make sure when replacing you don't get the basic aftermarket upgrade. TCS and people that sell their products have the regular 300m for like 225-250 then there is the "hd" one which is like mid 300s. Not sure what suncoast offers, or what twisted stocks/uses.

outacntrl

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just went through this same situation with a stage 3 Elite. Broke the billet input and it was stuck/damaged the DPC converter. He was also told no warranty because it was caused by tuning. The truck is tune only running GH street when it broke. I suggest you call Morgan at Midwest and talk to him about what hard parts he will warranty in his trans. My buddy sent his to Morgan and you could immediately tell a difference in the way the truck shifted running the same tune. As far as getting the broken piece out I'm not sure. This converter had to be sent out anyway because it damaged the hub in the converter when it broke.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
From Elites website.

Tuning: EDE Transmissions from Stage 1 through Stage 3 will require a custom tune designed for a built transmission. Our Stage 4 and 5 transmissions have modified direct solenoids and more aggressive pump modifications that will require even more custom tuning. What this means is if you purchase a Stage 4 or 5 transmission, you will most likely have to work with your tuner to get the trans shifting exactly as required and it may take more than one tune and will require you to give good feedback to your tuner.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Let me know if you need anything, 3yr 100k warranty on our trans that's used as a normal truck. If it's beat on alot and raced alot, 2 year unlimited. There is a fine line between abuse and parts failure that's why we don't have a flat warranty.

madman1234509

Reaction score
How exactly do you determine if someone uses their truck like a normal person or beats on it after its left your shop?

Also, basically what the "custom tuning" comes down to us if you have an aftermarket trans with more clutches it may need shift timing and line pressures changes, or whatever else goes into tuning a trans. If it doesn't slip or slam gears then run the tune you have.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
How exactly do you determine if someone uses their truck like a normal person or beats on it after its left your shop?

Also, basically what the "custom tuning" comes down to us if you have an aftermarket trans with more clutches it may need shift timing and line pressures changes, or whatever else goes into tuning a trans. If it doesn't slip or slam gears then run the tune you have.

Generally you have a good idea if it's a abuse or if it's part failure per what's done to the truck and the power it's pushing. Also by what breaks and where it breaks, a good builder can generally tell. Something the guy who builds ours told me. And he's got a lot of experience with these trucks trans and the other brands.
Imo, the op's case, with his setup, a billet shaft shouldn't have happened. If it's caused by something else or the shaft was week, that's to be determined. That's why we cover hard parts to learn and see what's going on. My builder is willing to do that, so that's apart of the warranty.

Last edited:

outacntrl

Reaction score
From Elites website.

Tuning: EDE Transmissions from Stage 1 through Stage 3 will require a custom tune designed for a built transmission. Our Stage 4 and 5 transmissions have modified direct solenoids and more aggressive pump modifications that will require even more custom tuning. What this means is if you purchase a Stage 4 or 5 transmission, you will most likely have to work with your tuner to get the trans shifting exactly as required and it may take more than one tune and will require you to give good feedback to your tuner.

If this is directed at me he was running a built trans tune from Gearhead per Elite, actually switched from Spartan to GH when trans was done. Not looking to argue about it just saying call Morgan and talk to him about his trans. Trans had maybe 30k miles on it. No passes down the track, no sled pulling.

dohcter

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. Talked to Midwest and he is getting a shaft setup for me. Ya I realize **** happens. But it should be like what Corey said, work with the customer see why it failed weather it be abuse or part failure. Blows me away. I'm blaming this on a pos shaft. It's really soft material, drills easily with crap bits.

Last edited:

04stroker

Reaction score
Most transmission builders I know do not cover broken shafts, that would most likely be up to actual manufacturer to warranty if there is one. But I do not think they will cover it either.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
If this is directed at me he was running a built trans tune from Gearhead per Elite, actually switched from Spartan to GH when trans was done. Not looking to argue about it just saying call Morgan and talk to him about his trans. Trans had maybe 30k miles on it. No passes down the track, no sled pulling.

I misinterpreted your post and took Gearhead street as his stock trans tune. A 600+ hp 8000+ pound truck is going to break hard parts in a built trans if the tuning is not spot on.

swinky

Reaction score
Let me know if you need anything, 3yr 100k warranty on our trans that's used as a normal truck. If it's beat on alot and raced alot, 2 year unlimited. There is a fine line between abuse and parts failure that's why we don't have a flat warranty.
That's just crazy.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
That's just crazy.

We build trans per hp rating. For example, a truck with say 700hp 6.4, i'm not going to recommend or quote you something without shafts. if the truck is 500 hp and you pay for a full built trans (billet shafts, clutches, our converter, etc), and it spit's a shaft, then of course we're going to warranty it. My builder is gonna want to know what happened if it's a complete trans we did. I should have clarified that a little more with that post Swinky (head cold, not thinking clearly today LOL).

Reaction score
Someone buys our full competition billet transmission, steel stator converter, new cooler and run our approved tuning.... Do we fully warranty that whole package other than the obvious fluid loss, water submersion, fire, outside forces, etc...? Yes. Period.

Is that "smart"? Yes, as long as you can back it up.

We work with our suppliers to have the best possible parts we can put into the transmission. And we are confident enough to stand behind it.

If you buy the non billet "street trans" and break the shafts, are they covered? No. That's the risk you take.

We warranty our transmission for 2 years 100k miles. Parts and labor (as long as labor is performed by us, no exceptions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online