6.0 Crate Motors

2stangs8689

Reaction score
I'm preparing for the worse, hoping for the best, but my 6.0 developed a noise while driving it this weekend, and if it's a lifter, I'm not sure I want to drop the $ on repairing it, vs buying a crate motor.

Any recommendations on a shop?

I'm looking at BlackWater now, 2 yr/50k mile warranty speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
were out in NJ, not sure how far, but always glad to help you out any way we can.

As far as motors, Asheville Engines. We have installed many of them using their short and long blocks. Rob is a great guys to deal with.

I would atleast drain the oil out of it first and see if you have any metal in the oil may give you a little insight on your issue. what kind of noise are you hearing.

2stangs8689

Reaction score
were out in NJ, not sure how far, but always glad to help you out any way we can.

As far as motors, Asheville Engines. We have installed many of them using their short and long blocks. Rob is a great guys to deal with.

I would atleast drain the oil out of it first and see if you have any metal in the oil may give you a little insight on your issue. what kind of noise are you hearing.

I was checking out Asheville Engines as well.

It's in the shop now, again, to see if anything is obvious. It sounded like a rocker arm to be honest, at first i thought it was a exhaust leak. No loss of power, or so it seems, and it didn't seem to get any worse, after driving it for 17 miles to a friends house, which unfortunately was my only option at that point, as I was pulling my snowmobile trailer as well, and AAA can be fussy about trailers, and I wasn't leaving my brand new sled on the side of the highway.

2stangs8689

Reaction score
So far, nothing on the top end looks out of place, so much for the cheaper side of fixing it.

Zmann

Reaction score
upgrade your AAA to cover your trailers

Airfish usually has some 6.0 Takeouts for a good price

EDIT LOL I missed his post above

co04cobra

Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone puts the money out for a crate engine when 99% of those remans are dog sh!t.

Sure a warranty "sounds" great. Until you actually need it and then good luck. Even if they do warranty the parts hoping to get any money for labor borders on the likely hood of seeing a unicorn....

When good used engines are plentiful and the right shop SHOULD warranty the parts and labor on what they install. JMO.

wiseguy

Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone puts the money out for a crate engine when 99% of those remans are dog sh!t.

Sure a warranty "sounds" great. Until you actually need it and then good luck. Even if they do warranty the parts hoping to get any money for labor borders on the likely hood of seeing a unicorn....

When good used engines are plentiful and the right shop SHOULD warranty the parts and labor on what they install. JMO.
I agree most remans are crap 6.0 are very simple motor to build most companies just don't want to replace all the necessary parts to build them right, but i totally disagree about plentiful GOOD used 6.0 engines?????? most Good used engines are on the verge of blowing up either they are out of million hour ambulance or they were cobbled together by hillbilly bob in his garage "cuz he doz bullet prof jobs for 999 dollars" and you cant really expect a shop to warranty a used engine can you:poke:

2stangs8689

Reaction score
So if all remans are sh!t, and I don't trust a used motor, where do I turn?? I can't take the chance with used, my luck doesn't allow that. This truck is a nightmare as it is.

HD F250

Reaction score
We have been doing a few in house motors and have a 6.0 block ready for a build if needed. Let us know if we can help.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I agree most remans are crap 6.0 are very simple motor to build most companies just don't want to replace all the necessary parts to build them right, but i totally disagree about plentiful GOOD used 6.0 engines?????? most Good used engines are on the verge of blowing up either they are out of million hour ambulance or they were cobbled together by hillbilly bob in his garage "cuz he doz bullet prof jobs for 999 dollars" and you cant really expect a shop to warranty a used engine can you:poke:

If I install a used motor from our parts yard and something happens within a reasonable amount of time. I absolutely warranty a used motor.

Same difference if we have had to put an engine in something on the retail lot. A customer then buys that vehicle and something happens to it. We absolutely warranty a used motor.

I'd trust just about any used motor over a crate one. Once again jmo.

Codydiesel

Reaction score
I agree with cobra I would find a good used engine and go over it maybe put some new lifters and do the headgaskets. It's way better then buying a unknown reman and knowing what they did and didn't do. That or pull yoru engine find out what's wrong and fix it. If it's starting to eat a cam , get a stage one cam from someone on here. Strip the block and clean all the oil passages do new main and rod bearings and lpop. Get a complete gasket kit for the engine and 4 lifter sets. You will be 1500-2000$ into a complete new engine pretty much that won't leak oil and know it good for another 300k and have a performance cam.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
only remans we have used are from Asheville engines...

that being said, we have also bought a handful from Airfish, as mentioned a good used motor properly gone through can be extremely reliable don't cut corners with it, a little more upfront now will save you more down the road...

HD F250

Reaction score
If I install a used motor from our parts yard and something happens within a reasonable amount of time. I absolutely warranty a used motor.

Same difference if we have had to put an engine in something on the retail lot. A customer then buys that vehicle and something happens to it. We absolutely warranty a used motor.

I'd trust just about any used motor over a crate one. Once again jmo.

Seth,

Not everyone runs an old fashioned, middle of no where WV, honest family owned business. WTF are you thinking:morons:.....lol

co04cobra

Reaction score
Seth,

Not everyone runs an old fashioned, middle of no where WV, honest family owned business. WTF are you thinking:morons:.....lol

What a crazy notion nowadays, huh?!?? :thumbsup:

You guys need to make a trip over here for a visit this spring. I've really been wanting to take a ride in a fast 6.4 :poke:

2stangs8689

Reaction score
AirFish didn't have anything available, so I ended up ordering a shortblock from Asheville.

Latest posts

Members online