6.0 Help

Whytry

Reaction score
I am trying to help my buddy fix his truck and I really can't pinpoint anything from what he has told me and I don't want to throw parts at it. The truck is a 2004 with a diablo sport programmer and an exhaust has like 125k on it. His complaint is it has a ton of lag and is low on power. He just rebuilt the turbo and replaced #2 injector. I ran a buzz test and everything was ok, ran ficm main power on AE was 41volts I know that is low. Icp was right above 4k and 77-80% duty cycle. The place where he had the injector replaced said ficm was good. The shop also checked egr cooler and said it was not leaking. any help would be appreciated.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Did you look at oil temps compared to coolant temps? Will help check the status of the Oil Cooler, they love to plug.

FICM voltage is definitely low, so I would get that looked into before it fails completely.

Does it use any coolant?

Dave

Reaction score
FICM is bad. Why the shop told you it was good I dont know. But at 41v its bad

Whytry

Reaction score
I wanted to make sure I could trust the reading on AE for the ficm voltage. I did not look at oil temp compared to coolant temp I can do that sometime this week. And no it does not use any coolant. I am guessing if the oil temp and coolant temp are close that means plugged oil cooler?

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I am guessing if the oil temp and coolant temp are close that means plugged oil cooler?
No. That would mean the oil cooler is healthy. Unless you made a typo there.

If you see a difference of more than 15-20* in the difference betweet EOT an ECT then you should be concerned about the oil cooler.

Clay

Reaction score
You say he rebuilt the turbo?
Did he clean and polish the vains and unison ring and base under the unison ring and then coat it all with anti seize?
It should be moving freely. If not this would be the result. Just got done rebuilding mine and it was pretty dirty and stuck.
Also its common that when he clamped the up pipes back onto the turbo, he didnt get it lined up and closed all the way meaning boost loss. If its leaking it should be easy to tell as it will be blowing hot exhaust out at the V clamp.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd test the FICM with a multi-meter. AE wont read below 40V, so if it's actually less than that, AE is still going to tell you 40. Easy enough to test with the meter.

Clay, did you use anti-seize on yours? I always wondering what method I would use if I had to do mine. International I think DID use anti-seize and Ford's procedure says to NOT use anything on there. Luckily my right foot has kept mine pretty clean.

Clay

Reaction score
Clay, did you use anti-seize on yours? I always wondering what method I would use if I had to do mine. International I think DID use anti-seize and Ford's procedure says to NOT use anything on there. Luckily my right foot has kept mine pretty clean.
Yes I did. The Unison ring was stuck pretty tight to the base housing and I couldnt hammer a thin blad putty knife between them so I'm sure mine hasnt moved in a long, long time. If you have more than about 60k miles on your truck, its the same way. Garrett told me these turbos need removed and cleaned about that often. :doh:
It took 3 hours just to get the vanes off the pegs. They were stuck and also havent moved in years. Oddly it drove fine so they must have been stuck in an intermediate position, not open all the way or closed all the way.

Mdub707

Reaction score
You don't have a boost gauge either though. I know my vanes are working at 99k miles, I can put my AE on and cycle them in the driveway with the truck idling. Move's nice and free.

I was just going to ask you if you noticed a difference with it "freed" up now to compare to your "drove fine" before comment, but I'm assuming your truck is still in pieces... or??? What's going on with that? PM me if you want, don't want to steal anymore of the OP's thread here haha

Latest posts

Members online