6.0 idles then dies

C4 6.0

Reaction score
04 6.0 started having issue several weeks back. Truck wouldn't start unless I cranked on it for 20 minutes or more. After I got it started I took it to local shop and put it on computer and got codes for cylinder 6 circuit high and low. Also low icp code. Ficm tested good never went below 48 volts. Injectors buzz tested good. But that's only a test of electrical components so who knows. I replaced icp sensor (early 04 lucky me lol) truck started right up but now dies after a few minutes tops of running. Will stay running after trucks warm but runs like a giant pos. has a noticable miss as well. Thoughts?

Lassie

Reaction score
Don't condemn the HPOP without data logging High Pressure Oil system. Could be IPR, injector, or other things.

A circuit high/low on 6 is likely a coil seperating from the injector in the six hole. There is a definite continuity problem from the FICM to the injector. Pull driver's valve cover and oil rail and the problem may be visible. Fix the circuit problem on 6 before doing anything else (Likely need an injector).....This could be most of your issue.

C4 6.0

Reaction score
I'm going to try and get it back on computer and check ipr and see if I'm getting any different codes. I'm hoping its not injector. They're only six months old that would be my luck though.

C4 6.0

Reaction score
Ok codes now are P0277 P0480 and P0528. The last two are fan codes. The wire has been cut. Second time on this truck for that? So ordered new clutch. Not enough wire to splice together this time. The 277 is injector 6 high? No icp code this time around. Buzz tested good again. Also had cylinder 6 contribution balance code. Would you think that one injector is causing my issue? Maybe a dead cylinder? Also ipr seems to be ok and hpop operating normally too far as we could tell. I wasn't looking at the computer myself. Thoughts? Thanks alot guys!!!!

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Ok codes now are P0277 P0480 and P0528. The last two are fan codes. The wire has been cut. Second time on this truck for that? So ordered new clutch. Not enough wire to splice together this time. The 277 is injector 6 high? No icp code this time around. Buzz tested good again. Also had cylinder 6 contribution balance code. Would you think that one injector is causing my issue? Maybe a dead cylinder? Also ipr seems to be ok and hpop operating normally too far as we could tell. I wasn't looking at the computer myself. Thoughts? Thanks alot guys!!!!

did you go drive it b4 pulling codes?

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

swinky

Reaction score
Bad coil in only one injector will make it rough. Won't kill the engine completely I dont think. 2 bad will kill it if they're bad enough. My number 1 had a bad coil and number three was only bad when hot. Three never threw a code. You need to do a contribution test.

C4 6.0

Reaction score
Bad coil in only one injector will make it rough. Won't kill the engine completely I dont think. 2 bad will kill it if they're bad enough. My number 1 had a bad coil and number three was only bad when hot. Three never threw a code. You need to do a contribution test.

Did contribution test and cylinder 6 is the only one that came up. Truck doesn't die once its warmed up a bit.

C4 6.0

Reaction score
What's chances that the injector was installed improperly? Had all injectors replaced at dealership before I bought this truck in October last year. Should've just kept my other 6.0 lol never had an issue with it.

Lassie

Reaction score
A "circuit" code, high or low, has nothing to do with orings or oil. The circuit has a problem between the FICM and the coils on that injector. This code is a very easy one to correct.

1. Check the injector connector
2. If connected, give harness a good look over
3. Harness checks, change injector

If the top of injector has coil/ spool valve problems, it could also cause ICP issues.

Anyway as said before, correct the circuit code first....it may correct all

C4 6.0

Reaction score
Ok thanks alot ill give it a look over and then see about changing that injector. Appreciate all the help!!!!!!!!

C4 6.0

Reaction score
Yelp twas indeed injectors. Several of them in fact. 6 to be exact. Got most of them replaced under warranty thank goodness. The others are all being replaced now so should be good to go. Thanks for the help guys it's appreciated!

Latest posts

Members online