6.0 Long Crank, Rough Idle when cold.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Had my room mate run some AE tests on it while I was at work this morning.

KOER test makes the 6.0 smoke like a whore

power balance seems ok

Killed each injector and they all seemed to make it equally crappy

Said it didn't run as bad as usual even at 44*. But then after work I went to go get dinner with it, it started up and seemed like it was running rough again... put it in gear and tried to drive off and it stalled... restarted and revved it up for a sec... pulled away slowly like it was lacking power, but cleared up before I hit the end of the block....

I'm at a complete loss. Does ANYONE have ANY ideas?

webb06

Reaction score
I would throw an ipr valve at it. Chances are that it wasn't replaced and should've been with a new pump.

You might call the dealer that did the repair and ask before ordering a valve

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I would throw an ipr valve at it. Chances are that it wasn't replaced and should've been with a new pump.

You might call the dealer that did the repair and ask before ordering a valve

Would they have that on file via the VIN? The story on that is that the dealer who had the truck (non-ford dealer) had a no-start issue they couldn't fix. They subbed that fix out to the local ford dealer, and they are the ones who replaced the HPOP.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I will call them tomorrow.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Does anyone know offhand if the ECM can detect that the IPR is out of position, or does it only know what it is commanding it and not if it is properly responding to that?

webb06

Reaction score
Would they have that on file via the VIN? The story on that is that the dealer who had the truck (non-ford dealer) had a no-start issue they couldn't fix. They subbed that fix out to the local ford dealer, and they are the ones who replaced the HPOP.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I will call them tomorrow.
Should be able to

Does anyone know offhand if the ECM can detect that the IPR is out of position, or does it only know what it is commanding it and not if it is properly responding to that?

PCM doesn't get feedback. Only output. So say its commanding 85% but the valve is only at 20% the PCM doesn't know it isn't working.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I picked up one w/ 289k on it. It runs pretty d@mn good. A slight miss when accelerating when cold. 100% on when warmed up. I passed some basic info to a buddy who specializes in 6.0 and he mentioned this for basic reliability maintenance:

ICP
STC
Dummy plugs
lifters
HPO branch tube
ALL oil related O-rings
Ford injectors

The 6.0 is no 7.3 and from everything I can find is very very maintenance sensitive, whereas the 7.3 would shrug off a late oil change or cheapy filter.

Even after talking w/ Swamps and a few other shops, 6.0 injectors and the motor just requires these to be addressed w/ more frequency than the 7.3. From what I understand the 6.0 can be a reliable platform but the maintenance requirements are more stringent.

W/ the miles you have I'd venture those items probably need addressing. I've been under the hood already and did the egr delete (use the factory up-pipe welded shut and into a single piece :thumbsup:). I'll pull the motor later and do studs and those minor items and hope to have it last another 250k.

Good luck w/ the problems you're facing.

Last edited:

yannie

Reaction score
Should be able to

PCM doesn't get feedback. Only output. So say its commanding 85% but the valve is only at 20% the PCM doesn't know it isn't working.

If it doesn't get feed back how does it activate trouble codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Icp sensor provides pressure feedback. Which will in turn set a light if its low

This makes sense, especially if ones that are sticking are more prone to stick when not warm. It takes a while to build ICP (like the valve is sticking open), but other than that it has no signs of a HPO leak, cold or warm.

Latest posts

Members online