6.0 Longevity question.

06F350FX4

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering what you guys have been seeing for longevity on these stock to lightly moded 6.0 as in rotating assembly and valve train to include lifters.

My truck has 220,000 and counting. I am the second owner and would like to put a few simple mods on it. But if I have to do a bottom end or valve train repair then I will wait.
Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated thanks.

swinky

Reaction score
My truck was just taken down at 225k miles and it looked pretty good. The lifters looked "okay" but had wear for sure. I'm pretty sure it was neglected until I got it and I'm pretty hard on it. I think it would've made it to 300ish thousand miles. In a well maintained truck lifters seem to fail between 350-450k miles.

It's always a gamble though.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering what you guys have been seeing for longevity on these stock to lightly moded 6.0 as in rotating assembly and valve train to include lifters.

My truck has 220,000 and counting. I am the second owner and would like to put a few simple mods on it. But if I have to do a bottom end or valve train repair then I will wait.
Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated thanks.

if your going to do head studs on the truck, I would have the front set of lifters pulled out and checked if they look egg shapped or have extreme wear, I would consider putting a new set of lifters in. That will also give you a chance to check out the cam lobs and see if there is any marks or scores.

Also when the oil is changed it should be checked for any metal shavings.

Also may not be a bad idea to pull the LPOP cover off and see if there is any wear in the pump gears.

As far as what to do if you opt to do studs: I would consider new push rods, atleast changing the front set of lifters on both sides (since the motor doesn't have to be removed to do that) Also possibly a regulated fuel return, ontop of the other basic parts, studs gaskets, stc fitting, egr delete, oil cooler ect.

06F350FX4

Reaction score
Yes I was going to do some of the bulletproofing like head studs , oil cooler , fuel loop/ head return. Eye delete , blue spring already done. I'm the second owner of this truck. The oil stays clean for awhile

06F350FX4

Reaction score
Great to hear Mark.
If it was a 7.3 , isx, c7 or 15, dt466 or 540 , or any gas engine i would know way more about it. But this is my first 6.0 so going absorb as much info as I can.

06F350FX4

Reaction score
Great to hear Mark.
If this was a 444 , 466 , 540 , isx , c7 or 15 i would know way more about it or any gas engine. But this is my 6.0 so going to absorb all that I can.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Great to hear Mark.
If this was a 444 , 466 , 540 , isx , c7 or 15 i would know way more about it or any gas engine. But this is my 6.0 so going to absorb all that I can.

this is certainly the best place to learn. Some of the best powerstroke guys in the industry on this forum.

Latest posts

Members online