6.0 Oil cooler shot less then year old!!! Options

Decker

Reaction score
So I was driving my 04 6.0 CCLB with 4in lift and 35s going up north this weekend pulling my pop up trailer. I have a edge evo that i use for now that i have set on tow and use to monitor my temps. Trailer probably weighs close to 3500lbs. On way up there i notice my EOT/ECT start to separate. Given it was close to 90 degree plus outside and 50% humidity. My oil temp was averaging at 205 and hit a high of 215 while my coolant temp average at 198 and hit a high of 216. The largest separation i seen in temps was 15degrees. I hit the highs crossing the zilwaukee bridge. I did a egr delete back in winter and did the oil cooler back in spring. With those temps an that big of separation I'm thinking my oil cooler is shot already. Not to happy about it. I did notice with trailer disconnected my temps sit around EOT 200 and ECT 194. Both still seem kinda high. What would be my best option to get a new oil cooler, if i need one? Would a remote oil filter and coolant filter help any?

Also I was thinking about it a little if i took a remote oil filter kit and added a 30 cooler that would help some?

Thanks in advance for any advice

slc6oh

Reaction score
doesn't seem too bad imo, towing much of anything it seems fairly common to get a larger split. as long as they settle back down after the hill... I know mine on 35s towing about 10k up a big long 6-7% grade 65mph on a 95degree day ill see about 20degree split by time im getting to the top. then comes right back down to 7-8degree split, my coolers literally 3weeks old.. prior to doing the cooler I buried my eot @ 255 up the same hill pulling a small utility trailer with my 2 seat rzr on it.

Decker

Reaction score
I guess i was just getting paranoid seeing the temps get that high with such a light trailer. I always just thought that in the 190s for eot and ect was ideal.

At what temps should start worrying about? I have my edge alert me when oil hits around 230 and when coolant hits about 216?

Decker

Reaction score
216 was the number that a old timer diesel mechanic gave me a while back. He told me when my temps start to get that high could rupture the cooler. Guess i must of misunderstood him.

What are EOT/ECT temps i should start to worry at?

Mdub707

Reaction score
The fan is barely even kicking on at those temps. You're fine.

When towing a trailer, you will likely see larger spreads, the key is how it acts as you slow down etc. EOT will always go up quicker when you're hammering on it, and ECT will creep up behind it, as you slow down or coast, ECT starts to go down and brings EOT with it, although a little slower.

Even still, the oil coolers job is to regulate the oil temp through use of the coolant. So, even if they get ridiculously high (I've seen people hit 240+ on these trucks) the split is what is important. So it's possible to get really hot but still have the split in check.

If it's an overheating issue, I noticed a new water pump (one with metal impeller) and a new radiator helped my overall temps come down quite a bit.

I just towed my 27' travel trailer this past weekend, probably in the 7000lb range, my EOT never got above 210* and ECT was low 200* with some decent hills (9% grade) and an outside temp of near 95*.

slc6oh

Reaction score
I hear ya on the paranoid thing, now ALL I do is watch my eot/egt temps on the cts2. I always joke wishing I didn't have gauges so I didn't worry bout it. . . my temps come up weird, coolant comes up way faster than eot, then I usually have a bit larger split with eot being hotter than ect until I get all the way warmed up on the coolant temp side then it seems to all balance/regulate out and runs right where it seems it should be.

78f100

Reaction score
Deltas should be no more than 15deg apart (normal driving) iirc spec says maintaining 65mph unloaded. You should be fine, I don't see a mention of a coolant filter, you need one.

Decker

Reaction score
Yeah I just got paranoid. But from the info people are giving me here looks like I'm doing alright. Yeah at the 65 degrees unloaded I'm sitting at a 6-8 degree split.

One thing what do people prefer to monitor gauges or tuner?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.