6.0 whining noise

6.0powerstroke

Reaction score
I have an 04 F-250 6.0 with nothing done to it other than a straight pipe exhaust. The truck started making a whining noise a couple months ago and I can't figure out what it is. This is what it does. Driving down the road it will make a whining noise that start to be heard real good at about 25mph and the noise gets pretty loud at about 70mph. You can always hear it but 40mph to about 55mph the noise is kinda covered up by the sound of the engine and exhaust, But as soon as I let off the throttle the noise goes away but when I give throttle again the noise comes back. It does not make a whining noise when I rev it up or when I do a boosted start. Please give me some ideas on what it could be.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
It's pretty common fault of these trucks.... Have not heard of anything else whining besides the turbo or a cracked up pipe

Donnie1

Reaction score
Did you figure it out? My 07 has the exact same thing going on and it's been going on for a while now. Could it be the carrier bearing or rear end maybe?

bhudson

Reaction score
Mine is a 6.7 and I hear a whining noise every once in a while but doesn't seem to do it when my wife is not in the truck with me. Haha

Latest posts

Members online