6.0 work for Vet; Need info

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
A good friend of mine (Tim) has been needing my help with his '03 6.0. He is a retired disabled Vet and can no longer do this kind of work himself. He bought the truck (his first diesel) about 4 moths ago from a dealer. Supposedly the salesman was telling him about what a great truck the 6.0 is and wont have the troubles that are notorious to the 6.4's! What a scumbag! So Tim was wanting a cooling system flushed because it looked nasty. He took it to a shop and they said they would charge $250 and it will be done in 30 minutes. Tim didn't want a 30 min. half ass job so he asked me if I could do it, he knows I get a little OCD with my truck and knew I would do it right.

I really don't know too much about 6.0's and this is a good learning experience and I get to help a true friend in need. I did the flush and filled the system with distilled water while I checked for other issues, and boy did I find them!

First his Radiator is leaking around the top tank, water is leaking from the EGR cooler, I pulled the EGR valve and it is wet in the manifold but no smoke from the exhaust, and the oil coolant delta is 26* peak on a fairly flat road. I informed him of what I found and he wants me to get it fixed right.

He is on budget so I've been shopping around for decent prices. here's my plan;

OEM Ford oil cooler w/gasket kit

EGR delete w/up pipe

intake gasket set

IPR's stainless HPOP screen

hot tank the intake manifold

coolant filter

BPD radiator

CAC boots

CCV w/oil separator to the exhaust

Here are my concerns; will the delete set a CEL on an 03? If so, I will likely go with a BPD cooler. Tim says he has no intentions on getting a tuner and he is older and can get a little confused so I want to keep things simple.

I've read that removing the EGR valve can negatively alter some parameters.

I seen several people install a new oil cooler only to have it clog in a few thousand miles. Is there a alternative to the stock oil cooler besides BPD's which is cost prohibitive?

What else should be done while I am at it?

I am looking for the best prices on quality parts so if any vendors have any specials please let me know.

Thanks
Rick

e.nickkk

Reaction score
I have a good used radiator that's just laying around if he covers shipping will donate to a vet

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

So I ordered the parts tonight and here's what I got.

Blue spring kit
Oil cooler kit
EGR delete
Intake gasket set
Rad Cap
Turbo hardware kit
Turbo oil feed tube
Turbo drain tube
HPOP fitting kit
Stand pipe/dummy plug set
Coolant filter
Radiator (Thanks again e.nickk)
Cat ELC

Is there anything else I should address while I am at it?

Also I'm pretty sure he needs injectors. FICM voltage looks great on AE, but runs like total crap when cold. it chugs the first few seconds and the idle surges for about 5 minutes. When driving at a constant speed on level road the slightest tip of the throttle causes the whole truck to bucks like crazy.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
So before I tear it down for the cooler/delete I'm trying to figure out the missing/bucking issue. AE shows 49v at the FICM, and it looks like injector 3 and 7 are not responsive during buzz test, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm fairly new to AE and 6.0's so I want to make sure I have this figured correctly.

I should have posted this earlier but the truck has 155k miles and the current codes are;
p0102
p0113
p0403
p0405
p0500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQw0meF681U

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Am I right in figuring a bad #3 and #7 injector? Does the buzz test go through injector 1-8 or does it run in firing order?

sootie

Reaction score
everything you have done looks great andi know he wont be tuning it but i am a firm believer in head studs regardless...

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
The thing I don't understand is the balance test look good. I ran it for nearly 20 minutes and not one hiccup. If 1 and 7 are not responding during the buzz test wouldn't I see that in the balance test?

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
How the heck do I get the rear turbo bolt out?! Its been soaking in PB Blaster of a couple of days, and I'm using a stubby 3/8 flex ratchet. About blew out an O-ring trying to break it loose! It needs an impact but there isn't room for one.

e.nickkk

Reaction score
I just use a short 3/8 10mm socket and a 6 inch extension and a regular size ratchet

loboost

Reaction score
I just use a short 3/8 10mm socket and a 6 inch extension and a regular size ratchet

This.

I have yet to put that back bolt back in on any of my 04+ trucks. If 3 is good for a lifetime...2 is good for a long time.

Latest posts

Members online