6.4 ambulance losing power, fine after restart

78f100

Reaction score
I have a 08 450 ambulance in the shop that is cutting power at 78 mph occasionally. I can restart it and its fine. All temps look good and the only code is vehicle over speed code. It has a dpf delete with a sct set on performance tune. Also the speed limiter on the tuner is off but the truck will only run about 84. I think it's tune related but need some input. What do you guys think?

6.4strokin

Reaction score
I kno on my truck any sct canned tuned didn't remove my speed limiter. Got custom tunes problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

78f100

Reaction score
Thanks, I have only ever ran custom tuning but assumed the sct canned tune would remove the limiter also. Is it normal for it to go to limp mode from a overspeed? It has no warning or wrench light just kills power until its restarted.

Mpoage

Reaction score
You can modify ambulances??

They have the exact same powertrain as a truck.

I wonder since the ambulance has a factory governor at 84mph and the SCT incorporates some of the factory settings in the tune if that's the reason it won't go any faster?

01PSD

Reaction score
They have the exact same powertrain as a truck.

I wonder since the ambulance has a factory governor at 84mph and the SCT incorporates some of the factory settings in the tune if that's the reason it won't go any faster?

No I thought because of legal issues (liability) they might have to be left stock. I know they're much better off with all of the emissions BS deleted though :D

78f100

Reaction score
The limiter doesn't seem to make a difference on this truck when I change it on the sct.
And yes you can legally remove emission control on ems vehicles here anyway. They have some sort of waiver, the truck was already deleted when I got it

EASH

Reaction score
I'd be completely ok with a tuned,deleted medic but i'm not sure id trust anyone else driving it .Our Dodge 4500 is limited at 75. the Ford 550 is 85. And just cause I'm nosy is this a private EMS agency or a City or Twp run agency that has the truck your talking about because they don't let us touch our trucks up here as far as anything mechanical goes because of the liability.

78f100

Reaction score
I understand, this thing is not stable at 80. It is a county owned ambulance, all the 6.4 ems rigs around here are deleted.

EASH

Reaction score
The limiter doesn't seem to make a difference on this truck when I change it on the sct.
And yes you can legally remove emission control on ems vehicles here anyway. They have some sort of waiver, the truck was already deleted when I got it

I really wish we could do that here we have DPF's on everything and firetrucks are never running long enough to do regen so we have to take em out and run em on the interstate or we have one that is set up to do it off a high idle some how . royal pita

Codydiesel

Reaction score
I know in fl they allow all emergency vehicles to not have to pass emissions so they can be deleted and tuned I have seen many 6.0s with egr deletes and tunes on them and some 6.7 cummins dpf deleted

78f100

Reaction score
Just a update, I had IDP make at tune for the ambulance, it's perfect. I know it will now do at least 94, and with air ride that's way too fast. The ems manager is well aware it will go above 84 now and sent a memo to all the guys to keep it at 80 or less. They are happy with it now, so I'm happy!

eng53ine

Reaction score
I really wish we could do that here we have DPF's on everything and firetrucks are never running long enough to do regen so we have to take em out and run em on the interstate or we have one that is set up to do it off a high idle some how . royal pita

if they have the ability to do so put them into hi idle any time they're sitting still that's what I started doing with our new engine seemed to help.

there was also an article on here or psn awhile back about ambos breaking down while transporting do dpf related issues

eng53ine

Reaction score
Just a update, I had IDP make at tune for the ambulance, it's perfect. I know it will now do at least 94, and with air ride that's way too fast. The ems manager is well aware it will go above 84 now and sent a memo to all the guys to keep it at 80 or less. They are happy with it now, so I'm happy!

good deal, wonder how many of those memos got lost in transit LOL

Latest posts

Members online