6.4 Buyers Guide

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Studs and an egr delete, maybe a ported intake manifold to equalize flow to the rear most cylinders

What are your power goals with this truck Derek...then people can give you a better idea on what to watch for at what levels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just starting the thread for the general public! My goals are probably 600 on fuel and reliable as hell. I wont be there until summer time though when i can afford a transmission. Right off the bat all ill do is deletes, intake, exhaust, tuner.

skew12

Reaction score
Studs and an egr delete, maybe a ported intake manifold to equalize flow to the rear most cylinders

What are your power goals with this truck Derek...then people can give you a better idea on what to watch for at what levels

Delete the EGR and run a lighter tune and it should be pretty well bulletproof without studs. Studs are definite for running higher power tunes though.

Thanks guys. I plan on having a 6.4 by this time next year and I want it down right.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Be careful! They are very addicting once you see how easy the power can be made :D

:whs: I planned on having a tuned and deleted truck...look where I'm at now motor out of the truck getting a full build and goin for over 1000...damn expensive addiction

skew12

Reaction score
Be careful! They are very addicting once you see how easy the power can be made :D

Lol I'm fine with that. I started to go down that road with my 7.3. However I made the mistake of test driving a 6.4. There's just such a big difference in power/looks/ride quality.

Plus getting 500-600hp out of a 7.3 is expensive.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Lol I'm fine with that. I started to go down that road with my 7.3. However I made the mistake of test driving a 6.4. There's just such a big difference in power/looks/ride quality.

Plus getting 500-600hp out of a 7.3 is expensive.

yeah once i got to that 600ish HP mark on the 7.3 i decided to scrap the idea and go to a 6.4. I will basically be starting right where i left off, but with lots of room to grow without needing a bottom end

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
so the list seems like this:

buy the truck
EGR delete, 4" exhaust, AFE stage 2, Innovative tuning...
Drive the truck till summer comes along
Pull the cab and stud it along with a transmission
drive it some more and see if i need more to make me happy haha.

Should be able to hit 570 with tuning and built trans?? Is that do-able?

superstroked

Reaction score
so the list seems like this:

buy the truck
EGR delete, 4" exhaust, AFE stage 2, Innovative tuning...
Drive the truck till summer comes along
Pull the cab and stud it along with a transmission
drive it some more and see if i need more to make me happy haha.

Should be able to hit 570 with tuning and built trans?? Is that do-able?

Just deletes and tune will get you there..trans not needed as long as you don't try to kill it all day every day. I would say if you play from time to time you could go for a long time on the stock trans. I have over 25k deleted and tuned running mostly the 275+ tunes. I am not easy on it all the time. No studs or egg delete either...Im not saying it can't happen, just hasn't yet.

Last edited:

skew12

Reaction score
yeah once i got to that 600ish HP mark on the 7.3 i decided to scrap the idea and go to a 6.4. I will basically be starting right where i left off, but with lots of room to grow without needing a bottom end

That's the way I feel. That bottom end scares me.

The part that's sucks is I've got all the 05 conversion parts now, all ford oem, and I'm going to sell the truck. It took me a long time to find em all too.

Last edited:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
That's the way I feel. That bottom end scares me.

The part that's sucks is I've got all the 05 conversion parts now, all ford oem, and I'm going to sell the truck. It took me a long time to find em all too.

Youve got a lot of room to grow with the 7.3 though... I mean your like 425hp right now... push the 7.3 over 550 and it becomes a WHOLE NEW ball game!

Throw those 05 parts on and run it

skew12

Reaction score
Is like to, but the PMR's scare me. Plus I messed around with a 6.4/300 tune (I believe) that just walked me. Thats what got me to go test drive one.

farmall99

Reaction score
Delete the EGR and run a lighter tune and it should be pretty well bulletproof without studs. Studs are definite for running higher power tunes though.
How big of a tune can you run without needing studs? Dad's interested in getting a 6.4 and he wants to tune it, but doesn't want to worry about it being reliable. Also can you get by with just turning EGR off or will he have to delete that along with the DPF?

Jhaddox

Reaction score
How big of a tune can you run without needing studs? Dad's interested in getting a 6.4 and he wants to tune it, but doesn't want to worry about it being reliable. Also can you get by with just turning EGR off or will he have to delete that along with the DPF?

You can run the extreme tuning if you want it's just a matter of how hard it gets beat and yes egr can stay on and run any of the dpf delete tunes you want

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I bought this truck because I had a 6.0 that was complete garbage from the day I bought it and I couldn't be happier to have what I have now. Now the problem is I HAVE to keep this truck streetable even though its tempting to go for much more power. Once I get it paid off I'm looking for a regular cab 6.4 to play with :D

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Well i went and looked at two trucks today....

01/2008 f350 King Ranch with 65k miles, 1 owner, perfect shape.. Only negative was you could tell they at one point had their dog in the back seat. $33k

2009 f250 Lariat, lifted 6" on 38s and BMF wheels. All black, interior was 100% flawless, outside had some scrapes and rock chips noticeable. 76k miles....$34k

One thing i noticed was they feel GUTLESS when they are stock haha, going from my 7.3 to this is terrible! They are very smooth and very quiet, ride nice, and just drive good overall. I couldnt find anything wrong with either truck, they both seemed flawless mechanically... but then again im not really sure what im looking for other than puked coolant.
Thoughts?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Any updates?

Prices aren't bad at all on those.

Yeah they arent bad...but those are the top two on my list right now, id like to go a little bit cheaper. Tomorrow morning im going to look at a few more crew cabs!
Ill try to get some pictures and what not....

Picking one is nerve racking, they all run so smooth compared to my 7.3 its tough to tell if anything is wrong! To me they all run amazing

Latest posts

Members online