6.4 carnage pics

webb06

Reaction score
Had a truck come in the shop a few weeks ago, customer said he heard a pop noise at a stoplight and then started idling rough. He first took it to ford dealer because they told him they would fix anything that happened to it, turns out they wanted nothing to do with it now. Figured it had a cracked piston considering the massive amount of blowby. It also had a banging/clanging noise. I pulled the cab and head off and found this....anyone seen this before? This is what it looked like after removing the head. The piston is missing, assuming it's in the oil pan, and cylinder wall is BEAT, so bad that all the coolant inside the block got drained out with the oil. In the pics you can see a few spots where there are holes in the cylinder walls.
dc2c1acb4372e5952788d0886968fc7f.jpg
cb894183d402bd60ffb505c1e4557d18.jpg
e098cbc64fc003c83bfc64c3bbd137be.jpg
9214172d12f641fd1a878de00b694bef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
There should be something on the end of that arm to keep it from digging into the round chamber.

sootie

Reaction score
By any chance are any valves missing from the head? That is EXACTLY what mine looked like when it dropped a valve.

superpsd

Reaction score
Now it's a 5.6L. I had a 4.6L gas engine that dropped a valve and did the exact same thing.

Last edited:

78f100

Reaction score
I have a 6.0 here like that, cylinder isn't as bad but the piston is gone. The customer had done a egr, and hpop then drove it about 70 miles when it locked up. I looked in the cylinder with a bore scope and couldn't find the piston...lol so pulled it down. On his a piece of the piston wedged between the rod and crank locking it up, 2 valves were gone but the stems were still in the head. I feel like my customer dropped something down the intake while he had it off causing the valve to break. It only has 140k on it.

webb06

Reaction score
Piston deeeleete kits lower egts :D

No doubt!

By any chance are any valves missing from the head? That is EXACTLY what mine looked like when it dropped a valve.

Valves intact, head is beat to crap on that cylinder

Wow! Did he actually drive it like this to the dealer and around to your shop?

Hauled it to ford, when dropped off they said they were gunna go drive it. Not sure how far or if they even did. I started it at our shop and drove it inside. Having no idea it was like this, but the damage was already done. No way in saving that.

webb06

Reaction score
I'm anxious to get the engine out and find out what the piston looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.4f350

Reaction score
Saw one like that out of an ambulance a while back that did the exact same thing. The entire truck was being sold dirt cheap, I was going to sleeve that cylinder and slap it together but wound up passing on the deal.

f350guy

Reaction score
Hauled it to ford, when dropped off they said they were gunna go drive it. Not sure how far or if they even did. I started it at our shop and drove it inside. Having no idea it was like this, but the damage was already done. No way in saving that.

Sounds like a $15k repair bill to me.

I wonder what caused the piston failure? What a way for a motor to fail.

Latest posts

Members online