6.4 find,what to know?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
'08 F350 sc/sb 6 speed man. Black with tan interior xlt,130,000 miles. It was traded in at the Dodge dealer. 16,400$. I haven't looked at it yet but wanted to know what to look for. So far I know egr...... ,look in tail pipe for soot in exhaust and signs of bolts taken out. It has factory wheels and stock size tires also if says 410 gears. I'd say unless special order or they changed it it's 373. So I'm looking at tuner,egr d.....,possibly dual exhaust cause I like it, modest tow tunes bigger tires air lift bags with on board air(I slready have) looks like @ 4000$ would put me to 20+. How long are injectors good for in the 6.4?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok! I just checked Kelly Blue Book and they're on the heavy side of suggested retail. A crew cab with same numbers is over 30k$. That's crazy! 15,000$ option! If everything does check out ok without any ******s I'll offer 12500and walk away. I'll be over fair market value after doing the upgrades.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Never mind this thread they sold it already. Probably didn't have it yesterday. But I did take a stroll in a new 2500 HD. Quite impressive. They have a 4 link rear suspension and tool boxes in the side of the bed. And a 373 gear. Something to think about!

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok,so I'm in Wilmington NC and rode past a used car lot full of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. They have an 08 cc/sb 4x4 lariat white tan leather. The truck is mint! Inside and out. Wheels don't have a scuff anywhere. Underneath is looks great. Absolutely no rust at all. Egr is ******d and has a sinister cap where the egr would be. Factory exhaust,factory intake. The catch is 315k miles. I checked blowby at oil fill cap after I started it cold. It started up perfect. The salesman started while I was at the engine and a friend watching tailpipe. All good. I drove it about 15 miles brought it back and I ran it hard. Now I know what you guys mean about the power! Wow! Checked blowby and lid stayed on just vibrated off. It was bought from a Ford dealer down the road a local trade in. Price16000$. There's a performance diesel shop in the area and they said they would take a look at it tomorrow. I'm thinking it has a different engine. I'll let them plug it up and test it out. What do you guys think about this?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
6.4 find

Here is a pic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104

dsberman94

Reaction score
All those little white spots, is that dried coolant or just corrosion. Being that's it's on the black plastic...

ckrueg

Reaction score
Is the *** gone? I bought a 2010 xlt in great shape for 12900 with 275k already dleeted now at 335k with no major issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
All those little white spots, is that dried coolant or just corrosion. Being that's it's on the black plastic...

I was kind of wondering that myself! That's why I took the pic. I thought maybe cause it's at the beach and it's kinda normal. If it is coolant what would've happened?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Is the *** gone? I bought a 2010 xlt in great shape for 12900 with 275k already dleeted now at 335k with no major issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm taking it to a performance diesel shop. In the area today and they'll be able to tell me what's been ******d. I'll ask them what it would cost for compression check,run diagnostics,and even pull the engine to do a basic overhaul. You'd have see the truck up close to appreciate how immaculate it really is. A truck this nice needs to be owned!

Dirtclod

Reaction score
stay far away from that thing...

You're probably right! But I have to get ichecked out first. These 6.4's run like like a raped ape. I'm sure I'd have too much in it if I did all the above. Should I offer 13500 after checked out or stay away?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
It's got 315k miles! So I'm damn sure you wouldn't buy it! Lol!

exactly my point :eek:

If it was an individual selling a bone stock truck with all maint records and low hours, I would consider paying $16k for a flawless truck with 200k.

From a used car lot? with 315k?

I've seen that scenario go bad SO may times... (with far fewer miles)

dsberman94

Reaction score
I was kind of wondering that myself! That's why I took the pic. I thought maybe cause it's at the beach and it's kinda normal. If it is coolant what would've happened?

Just run. Blown gasket blew coolant out the degas, fuel cooler could have captured. Call and tell them you're not interested. It has to be tuned to have the ******s anyway. You won't want it. Just leave it behind. Chit went wrong with it and someone dumped it before they had to dump an azz load of cash into it. Just let it go man.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok guys! That's what this forum is for! I've asked and the ones that know have answered! Leaving the notion behind me. Thanks again!

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Pull the oil fill cap and check it for blowby

Every 6.4 has some blowby, I just put in a new short block on one and fired it up and it had blow by. They were that way right off the assembly line.

Check the oil for signs of diesel or sludge, check for fluid leaks ( rusty colored stains on the radiator, oily residue on the motor or frame. Pull the upper EGR cooler temp sensor and see if its wet.

Latest posts

Members online