6.4 high engine oil temp

gabrielchartrand

Reaction score
Engine coolant was just flushed with VC-1. Coolant stays at 190 at 60mph. Oil temp is at approx 222. Before adding an expensive oil cooler bypass kit, what can I do to diagnose this issue before spending big $$? I use ford gold Coolant and all Temps were non towing. Someone mentioned that it might just be a bad oil temp sensor, but I have my doubts that it would be that.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
What sootie said.
After the truck is completely cooled off over night compair the oil and coolant temps when you first turn on the key. That should tell you if one is inaccurate.

gabrielchartrand

Reaction score
I'll check the cooler later on to see if they match up. Would a good flush with VC-9 do the trick? Cause isn't a cooler replacement a 17 hour cab off repair and like 3k to fix? Trucks only got 93,000 miles. I'm just surprised the cooler plugged so quickly.

Lipka101

Reaction score
I'll check the cooler later on to see if they match up. Would a good flush with VC-9 do the trick? Cause isn't a cooler replacement a 17 hour cab off repair and like 3k to fix? Trucks only got 93,000 miles. I'm just surprised the cooler plugged so quickly.

Vc-9 will most likely make it worse, but before changing it use the vc9 to get rid of the chit that's in the system so you don't have to do another one. It's a cab on repair if you don't have issues with uppipe bolts. Can turn into a nightmare quick if you strip one. Lots of Penetrating oil, heat and patience and they should come out though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ki7cuz

Reaction score
Just a quick question, what is normal oil temp say running 70 on flat highway when it's oh 90 degrees outside?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Skiman26

Reaction score
Mine is usually about 197-203 on oil in that parameter usually 4-6 degrees above coolant temp

gabrielchartrand

Reaction score
Yesterday after not driving my truck for 2 weeks I noticed the coolant hovering at around 184-188. Oil temp was at 213.

Should I try changing the thermostat first? Cause 184 seems low.

gabrielchartrand

Reaction score
What about the egr? Can that affect the oil temp? Mine is ******d with blocker plates but still has the coolant running through it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Make sure the coolant is full. 184 is pretty low, but should have no bearing on hi oil temp, as the oil cooler would just have cooler coolant running through kt.

Latest posts

Members online