6.4 High Pressure Turbo Issues

mmcalea

Reaction score
This weekend down at Rudy's I started noticing some odd turbo noises. Truck is a 08 with 100k miles, Livewire TS with Xtreme Street Innovative tune on at the time. Drove from VB to Durham without issue, got to the track and parked and everything was fine, even drove it a few times during the day to different parts of the track. Left Friday night to head back to the hotel and noticed the turbo whining more than I'd ever noticed. Got back to the hotel and cut it off and noticed a grinding noise that sounded like a bearing in one of the chargers as it wound down.

Parked it for the night and let it sit for the event Saturday. Saturday night, went out to start it and after 10-15 seconds the grinding noises started again. It wasn't too loud but definitely noticeable and knew something wasn't right. With me not wanting to take anymore risks than needed 4 hours from home, I ended up trailering it back today.

Got it home today and started it up and let it run and the grinding noise at idle was gone but could hear a noticeably louder whistle from the exhaust, sounded more like a 6.0 whistle. Spooled it up to 10-15lbs and everything was fine, didn't notice anything in cab other than the louder whistle. Cut the truck off and towards the end of the spool down heard the grinding again. I cant tell if its the bearing itself or the wheel in the housing but is definitely coming from the VGT.

I pulled the intake boot off and the low pressure charger is tight with 0 shaft play. Started the truck again with the boot off and had a buddy keep his head close to the chargers when I cut it off and pinpointed it directly to the VGT charger.

My question is, how common is it for the high pressure turbo to kick the bucket, and also is it better to go with a bigger turbo or stock replacement. I had already planned to do a drop in 71 or 72 when I studded it in a couple months but didn't expect anything this soon. Just looking for some input from others who may have had the same problem. Thanks in advance for the help

sootie

Reaction score
pull off the u-bend tune and check shaft play in the HP charger. you will have to remove the bracket with the fuel cooler on it.

for the price-i would upgrade the charger to a 59mm

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Check the EGR crossover pipe and the up pipes. When I blew them the VGT was trying to open the vanes further to get the back pressure and made them make a weird noise like grinding.

Latest posts

Members online