6.4 HPFP help needed

skevac

Reaction score
My HPFP went out on Saturday. On top of the fact that I knew it was going to be expensive to fix apparently the pumps are very hard to come by. Does anyone know if a Navistar HPFP is the same and will work in the Ford application. Not sure that they are anymore readily available than the Ford ones, but am looking for any avenue to get my truck back on the road sooner as this is my main vehicle. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Yes the maxxforce7 pump is interchangeable but is usually a bit more than powerstroke version. I've been told they outperform our pumps but never proved it so not sure I believe it.

Racer71

Reaction score
Be ready to buy injectors, usually when the pump fails it takes the injectors out shortly after

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Good luck. I just installed the absolute last one in the entire country that I got from my supplier. And we've had 6 on emergency order from Ford for 6 months now.

Even though Ford remans we have had serious troubles with in the past

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Also curious on why you think "it went out"

Are you blowing fuse 74?

skevac

Reaction score
Also curious on why you think "it went out"

Are you blowing fuse 74?
Glitter in lower filter housing. Truck stumbled then quit. Tried to restart it and it slightly ran for a few seconds and quit again. Tried to start it again and it timed out cranking. Now it won't even try to crank. Do you have an idea of why it won't crank? Could be a blown fuse, I haven't had time to investigate it much.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Oh you need a system if you have the glitter.

That's injectors pump rails sensors lines filter base feed pump tank drop and clean.

You toast the starter?

skevac

Reaction score
Is it hydrolocked?
Starter doesn't click or anything. I highly doubt trying to start it only twice would fry the starter, but who knows. I'm guessing a blow fuse or something in the PCM is telling it not to try. I really don't know and haven't had the time to look into it much.

skevac

Reaction score
Oh you need a system if you have the glitter.

That's injectors pump rails sensors lines filter base feed pump tank drop and clean.

You toast the starter?
Yes a system. All the rest of the parts are available except the HPFP.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Starter doesn't click or anything. I highly doubt trying to start it only twice would fry the starter, but who knows. I'm guessing a blow fuse or something in the PCM is telling it not to try. I really don't know and haven't had the time to look into it much.
There is a 12ish gauge starter wire with a round bullet type connector by the passenger negative cable. Undo it and out 12v to the male side, this will bypass the ignition and pcm and should crank the engine over.

skevac

Reaction score
There is a 12ish gauge starter wire with a round bullet type connector by the passenger negative cable. Undo it and out 12v to the male side, this will bypass the ignition and pcm and should crank the engine over.
Your suggestion to do this worked, so it's not hydro locked and the starter is fine. I just bumped it a couple of times.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Sounds like a pats issue.

Can you check fuse 74 for me though in the fuse box

skevac

Reaction score
Sounds like a pats issue.

Can you check fuse 74 for me though in the fuse box
Alright, just wanted to follow up with you to be courteous as you took the time to try and help me. After weeks of looking and eventually finding a HPFP I just ended up taking it to a shop to get it repaired and let them deal with all of it. They told me that the PCM had locked the truck out from trying to start because of certain codes stored. Thanks for all your help.

Latest posts

Members online