6.4 injector question

Autoguns

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,
I'm new to the forum and to the 6.4 so bear with me if I ask some silly questions . Not long after I bought the truck I did a dpf delete , spartan tuner and a s&b intake to attempt to gain some fuel mileage and save the motor from the EPA retarded regen process .
So far the tune is great . However I ran it a little hard the other night after changing the oil and fuel filters. I also added some injector clearer to the full tank .... Now after the hard run it has a miss and is giving codes for 2,3&7 injector , I've read up on it and it looks like I may have some failing injectors or possibly the additive is casing the issue.

That said I also have a secondary issue with the valve train or at least that's what I lean to with the research I've done so far. I'm hearing a popping type noise from the air box , one vidio I watched sounds just like it and the fix was to replace the rocker arms and bridges . I'm planing on doing this but my main question is can I still run the truck (other than the rough idel/miss it runs good)or park it until I can tare into it....?
Thanks for any input ...JW

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,
I'm new to the forum and to the 6.4 so bear with me if I ask some silly questions . Not long after I bought the truck I did a dpf delete , spartan tuner and a s&b intake to attempt to gain some fuel mileage and save the motor from the EPA retarded regen process .
So far the tune is great . However I ran it a little hard the other night after changing the oil and fuel filters. I also added some injector clearer to the full tank .... Now after the hard run it has a miss and is giving codes for 2,3&7 injector , I've read up on it and it looks like I may have some failing injectors or possibly the additive is casing the issue.

That said I also have a secondary issue with the valve train or at least that's what I lean to with the research I've done so far. I'm hearing a popping type noise from the air box , one vidio I watched sounds just like it and the fix was to replace the rocker arms and bridges . I'm planing on doing this but my main question is can I still run the truck (other than the rough idel/miss it runs good)or park it until I can tare into it....?
Thanks for any input ...JW

I would park the truck till fixed it could end up damaging engine causing catastrophic failure (from the broken rockers) and if a injector is leaking you could fry a piston.

Last edited:

Autoguns

Reaction score
That's what I'll do. I don't know if the codes were there prior to the miss problem but it's there now so hopefully no damage but that's generally not my luck.
I plan on ordering the parts ( rockers and at least three injectors along with new lines ) .
Anything else I may need???

Reading up on the rockers it don't sound like too hard of a job but I'm sure there maybe some issue not listed in the threads I've read so far... Anyway thanks for the info..JW

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you dont need injectors...

The injector codes are from the valves not opening, fix that first.

I would do both sides if i were you, one side has failed the other side probably isnt far behind

Autoguns

Reaction score
Thanks, that would be great if the injector codes were cleared with the replacment of the arms .
I'll order the parts to do the rockers and fuel lines tomorrow. Anything else I should order to get this done? JW

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks, that would be great if the injector codes were cleared with the replacment of the arms .
I'll order the parts to do the rockers and fuel lines tomorrow. Anything else I should order to get this done? JW

Whoops sorry about that misread your post.

Autoguns

Reaction score
Well , still waiting on a couple parts so today I had a local shop do some testing and in have a 12% compression reduction in cylinder 7 now I may have to go deep into the engine .... Man this sucks

Autoguns

Reaction score
It toast...#7 is gone, burnt piston with the ring exposed.

It'd be ok if I did just buy the truck less then 4k miles ago....man I'm sick right now.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
It toast...#7 is gone, burnt piston with the ring exposed.

It'd be ok if I did just buy the truck less then 4k miles ago....man I'm sick right now.

I didn't see this post. Wow in sorry man that would make me sick too. Sounds like an injector hung or the exhaust valve wasn't opening(bent push rod or broken rocker) and just melted the piston since there wasn't any fresh air coming in.

Last edited:

Autoguns

Reaction score
The cylinder wall looks ok but at this point I'm just going to run it as long as I can . Either way I have a motor to buy or a truck to sell / part out . To bad it a really nice 450
Oh and if the story wasn't funny enough the rockers showed up ...anyone need a set?...

Last edited:

Autoguns

Reaction score
At this time I don't need them I also have 16 new bridges and 4 new injector lines. I have someone who is also whating them so I sent both of you a pm yesterday, whoever let's me know they want them gets em...thanks JW

Latest posts

Members online