6.4 overheated, no start

sootie

Reaction score
On a serious note..lets brain storm..what would make a 6.4 not crank after an overheat condition.

internet diagnosis is fruitless unless you are with the truck and have some sort of diagnostic tool.

boggerr

Reaction score
internet diagnosis is fruitless unless you are with the truck and have some sort of diagnostic tool.

Agree 100%

The problem is the term "won't crank" is used incorrectly most of the time.
So is the starter working? Is the starter engaging but the engine isn't spinning?
Or, and this is where I see that term used wrong. Is the engine cranking but not firing up?

I see a lot of people say it's not cranking when they mean it's not firing up

rjustman

Reaction score
Even that right there is perfect..looking for a place to start before I send for diag.at shop.. ehat about the egt probes in exhaust? Any codes I should particularly be afraid of?

Roccafellas

Reaction score
On a serious note..lets brain storm..what would make a 6.4 not crank after an overheat condition.

Bent rods or hydrolock
Have you tried jumping the starter like they suggested to hear for a skip or irregularity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boggerr

Reaction score
I had rods hanging out of my 7.3 and it still started

OP are you looking at this truck yourself or just getting info from the owner? Without you being with the truck it's just a guessing game. You need to see if the engine is spinning freely or locked up. Then go from there

sootie

Reaction score
Just figuring somethings locking it up thats all

extremely rare a bent rod will stop a six four. i have seen cranks gouged way out from contact but they still run...

Roccafellas

Reaction score
extremely rare a bent rod will stop a six four. i have seen cranks gouged way out from contact but they still run...

Fair enough!! I have only owned and worked on one! So given that statement i'll reconsider mine!

rjustman

Reaction score
Truck has not been delivered yet..but he said today he was pulling a very small hill..truck was on the hot side of things but maintaining temp very well (not getting any hotter), then he said the temp gauge spiked, truck gave a warning, dash lights came on, and he pulled off and shut down, checked oil levels in everything, evwrything as good, had it towed home..the no crank he is speaking of, he said starter won't turn over, he's guessing hydro locked cylinder , and blown head gasket, debase bottle was puking he said..just talked to him 20 minutes ago.
With all that said I did get a deposit out down on the truck, so I'll be updating this thread as soon as anythi g else changes and probably positing my findings

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Probably blew the lower egr cooler and then back fed when engine was off and filled a cylinder...these engines don't pop head gaskets and hydrolock like other motors. MLS gaskets never ever really allow that

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is turn the engine by hand back wards with cooling system drained, just to see if it moves. Then remove all glow plugs and spin it.

Sometimes you can spin it back wards by hand several times and valve over lap will rid the fluid, but it's sketchy

sootie

Reaction score
Probably blew the lower egr cooler and then back fed when engine was off and filled a cylinder...these engines don't pop head gaskets and hydrolock like other motors. MLS gaskets never ever really allow that

:whs: with any luck, an egr deleeete and you are most of the way thru the problem. i would yank the LH inner fender and see if you can get the lower cooler unbolted just slightly. if coolant pours out you have your answer. Then do what ctc suggested...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Nothing drains when you pull them. If a cylinder is full then it'll spray a bit but not a big deal, just change the oil.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If it did sit for an extended amount of time with coolant in the cylinder, it should have technically all leaked passed the loose ass rings and be in crankcase..

rjustman

Reaction score
:whs: with any luck, an egr deleeete and you are most of the way thru the problem. i would yank the LH inner fender and see if you can get the lower cooler unbolted just slightly. if coolant pours out you have your answer. Then do what ctc suggested...

Sounds good..he has everything to ****** truck, the *** and all is gone and he has a mini maxx on truck, he also has the egt ****** stuff but never installed..

rjustman

Reaction score
If it did sit for an extended amount of time with coolant in the cylinder, it should have technically all leaked passed the loose ass rings and be in crankcase..

It's been sitting about a month, I wont take delivery until end of November either

Latest posts

Members online