6.4 owner looking for a 4 digit HP number

extreme3807

Reaction score
1K on fuel only also helps, not many people have achieved this. But the few i know of with singles have had zero problems on a stock bottom end, and these trucks have been beat on way more than you could imagine.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
When you have to pay someone to do the labor it sure makes you plan your builds allot better. For me I have a shop and time to do things myself. But I don't have the money to pay someone to do what I do. I kinda take things one step at a time. Its bit me in the ass for sure but that's how I save money. 1000 HP daily driver is going to have issues one way or the other eventually. I think Craig even said himself the pistons were probably hurt before the compounds. Shaved and lower compression pistons aren't that much and prob would have prevented that.

As far as rods go I have no desire to push my truck that far to the point of aftermarket rods. I don't wanna find the next weak link.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
How many 4r or 5r trannies have lived reliably at this level ?

my 4r has lived through alot of abuse and still looked new inside until i up the power now i cant keep shafts...my 5r would need a new converter about everytime i went to the track

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
We have a set of compounds we are releasing that will support 1000hp and are half the price of max-powers. They are called Raw-Power compounds as they don't have all the bells and whistles as max-powers.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
my 4r has lived through alot of abuse and still looked new inside until i up the power now i cant keep shafts...my 5r would need a new converter about everytime i went to the track

Why not put a real "Race" transmission in the truck? Lenco and Brunodrive.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
We have a set of compounds we are releasing that will support 1000hp and are half the price of max-powers. They are called Raw-Power compounds as they don't have all the bells and whistles as max-powers.

should be a nice option for people

Dustball8504

Reaction score

I saw the e-mail, they are $5500. How streetable will this setup be?

Erikclaw

Reaction score
They should be streetable, an 88 into a 59vgt. So you know it will spool, just seems like a small vgt but I don't design these systems.
Craig you sure got butt hurt about some comments. You were pushing huge power and that motha blew. Compounds or the single it still died, and having your own shop with your own labor saves a boat load. I am way over 20k but I started not really knowing where I wanted to end up, so wasted some money going through set ups. Push 1000hp and if it is not supported by mods you may live and you may not. If it doesn't you are over 20k to have a motor built right and installed. So it may have not cost much to get to that level, but your ass is bending over taking the beating of a newly built motor later. I am on the side of build it right and not worry about it if you are going to have a huge power level and dd. Strange things happen when you drive it daily and put a lot of miles on it. Where mine sits now I think it would take the beating of driven daily and pushing close to 1000hp.

Last edited:

mike@haller's

Reaction score
I have an 08 6.4L and I currently have a pretty good list of what I am looking to get done just wanted to ask around and see if my goal of a 4 digit HP number and still be able to drive the truck on a daily basis is realistic or not. Any input would be much appreciated.

I think having a 1k hp and daily driving is very doable. I think which way you go needs to be based on what your end goals and uses are. If you still wanna drive this truck everyday in heavy traffic and tow trailers then I would stick with a large compound setup. Shone patels truck makes 1040hp on fuel and drives like a tuner only truck. Mal Burnsides truck made 976hp on fuel and still pulled his 16ft tandem axle dump trailer a 100 miles to denver and back last weekend, for his roofing business. Mal's truck has also been built at that level for the last 17k miles with no failures besides trannies. If your worried about trannies at that level and aren't against using nitrous. I would copy erik clausens setup mid 700's on fuel where your tranny is safer, then hit it with a little spray to get you over the 1k hp mark.
If all you wanna do is have a fun toy truck that you hit the track with and compete with. Then by all means go the simplicity route with the single. You can't argue Craigs truck makes big power and performs well at the track.
As far as the trans goes I wouldn't be afraid to use the 5r if you are still using the truck primarily as a street rig. The new stuff we are trying out for Tadd in Mals truck seems to be working quite well so far. Time will tell though as we don't have alot of miles on it just yet. The 4r does seem to be performing well in competition for craig and rudy. I just don't like that in a street application you have to give up cruise and the PRNDL switch.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
They should be streetable, an 88 into a 59vgt. So you know it will spool, just seems like a small vgt but I don't design these systems.
Craig you sure got butt hurt about some comments. You were pushing huge power and that motha blew. Compounds or the single it still died, and having your own shop with your own labor saves a boat load. I am way over 20k but I started not really knowing where I wanted to end up, so wasted some money going through set ups. Push 1000hp and if it is not supported by mods you may live and you may not. If it doesn't you are over 20k to have a motor built right and installed. So it may have not cost much to get to that level, but your ass is bending over taking the beating of a newly built motor later. I am on the side of build it right and not worry about it if you are going to have a huge power level and dd. Strange things happen when you drive it daily and put a lot of miles on it. Where mine sits now I think it would take the beating of driven daily and pushing close to 1000hp.

not butt hurt just funny how everyone thinks they need to spend big money and that you spent over 40k probly? you dont need it period i could put out 1000 hp trucks all day for around 26-30k and they would hold up,,,and that includes transmission

Last edited:

jdgleason

Reaction score
Mal had like 7 ATS trannies in a few thousand miles before switching to one of ours... Now, I believe he has had 2 of ours over a period of time, and we just built him a stage 5 that sounds like it is holding up.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
That could be, but I guarantee you I couldn't drive one of those things here. I have no use for a truck with a converter that has to hit 3000rpm to help the single spool. The environmentalists don't tolerate smoke here.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
That could be, but I guarantee you I couldn't drive one of those things here. I have no use for a truck with a converter that has to hit 3000rpm to help the single spool. The environmentalists don't tolerate smoke here.
I can drive my truck with little to no smoke here...and have a 1900 stall converter not 3k....
not saying my setup is perfect for everyone

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I am glad you said it. Everyone has what they prefer, just hate it when people try to say something is the end all be all. Pretty sure there used to be a much higher stall in it before.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
I am glad you said it. Everyone has what they prefer, just hate it when people try to say something is the end all be all. Pretty sure there used to be a much higher stall in it before.
pretty sure its never had any higher stall than the stock 7.3l came from the factory with

mike@haller's

Reaction score
What's Mal using for a tranny/tq now? Was he blowing suncoast's or elite?
We have always ran a 5r in his truck. It has always burned up clutchs though it has never burned up converters. But his truck also is not a competition truck so it has had very few 4wd launchs. Mainly it gets really hard roll ons from 65 to 100down the highway. It is currently running a stage 5 5r from Elite. Being as it is blowing through clutchs we are trying some different tricks internally that tadd thought should make it work. So far so good but it has only been in the truck for about 3 weeks. If you want to know more about what done to the trans get ahold of JD on here and he will get you set up.

not saying my setup is perfect for everyone
Thats all I was getting at with my previous post. Everyone is turning this into a MPD vs Elite thread and its getting old I think. Were all ford guys on the same team here. Both of you guys make good products that fit into people lives and objectives differently. I have personally never installed any of your kits, which is why I have no experience to relate to on your setups.

Latest posts

Members online