6.4 Power Steering Issues

skate918

Reaction score
A few weeks ago my truck began to have some issues in the power steering. When stopped at an idle there is no assist from the power steering system. Once moving it begins to work like it should.

If you rev the engine up it works like it should but then goes back to not working without help from the engine.

I flushed the fluid which was not dirty and still no luck. Found a used pump locally that I personally know worked, put it on last night and still the same. Is it possible that I just have some air left in the lines and that could be why it did not work on my truck?

The newly installed pump acts ecaxrky like the original one I pulled off.

My truck is an 08' 4x4 with the later build date.

skate918

Reaction score
Brakes seem to be fine. A couple of times the pedal seemed stiffer then it should be put it's been a few months since then.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Could also be the brake booster "stealing" all the pressure. I put all new pump, booster, and redhead steering box and its great all around.

78f100

Reaction score
I have had several at the shop where the liner came out of the lines and is causing a restriction. I had one ford put 3 pumps on we replaced the hydraboost, same issue, them replaced all the lines to solve the issue. On one the liner was all wadded up in the line right at the hydra boost. Try blowing through all the lines hopefully you will find a restriction.

skate918

Reaction score
I will check the lines out this evening when I get off of work. How long did it take you to get all the air out of the lines?