6.4 rebuild nightmare

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Ok so a couple months ago I cracked a piston... Got it tore down, got funds together, and started ordering parts... Because my block needed to be sleeved, I just bought a block from a member on here. I ordered .020" over pistons from MPD and took the block to machine shop last week to be bored and honed. After telling them several times to bore .020" over, I pick the block up today from one of there drop off locations and all the paperwork says it's been bored .030" over..... So I made a call to see about getting .030" over pistons and they are on about a month and half back order........

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I'd be doing some double checking. See if they put .020 anywhere in writing.. i'd be going after someone for a new block, or get them to cough up the cash for some new pistons.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
The tag on the block has .030" over written on it that looks to have been rewritten and the receipt has .030" over written on it. I'm calling them tomorrow to try figure out what the heck is going on and why they didn't call if there was a problem.

78f100

Reaction score
Not bashing on you but its never a good idea to order pistons before the machine work is done. There is a good chance that 20th wouldn't clean up the cylinders and they had to go 30 over.
I would mic the holes and pistons to see what they really are.

Last edited:

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Not bashing on you but its never a good idea to order pistons before the machine work is done. There is a good chance that 20th wouldn't clean up the cylinders and they had to go 30 over.
I would mic the holes and pistons to see what they really are.
I agree on ordering before machine work..... Just never thought it would be this much of an ordeal to get a friggin engine together again... my main complaint is if they did have to go bigger than they were suppose to, why did they not pick up the phone and say hey we have a problem..... I even talked to the guy a couple times after they finished it and before it left there shop to be delivered, nothing was said other than everything looked good. I'm really needing this thing back together, so I don't have to drive one of my bosses pickups around any longer than already have...

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
The machinist should of measured the block then had the pistons in hand before the boring and honing.....

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I asked them if they needed the specs that were sent to me for the pistons, he said nope just basic .020" over stock no big deal...

sootie

Reaction score
dont get it sleeved. most shops wont bore and hone unless they have the pistons in hand...

Did you call Morgan @ Midwest and see what he has in stock for overbore sizes?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Got my pistons before my build. Got lucky I Guess. Swamps did my boring. They had Pistons in hand.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Well supposedly 2 of the cylinders ring groove was bad enough that they had to go bigger to get them cleaned up, woulda been nice if they had at least picked up the phone and said hey got a problem... oh well, I've visited with Morgan and will be getting a set of his pistons soon. One of my buddies is buying the pistons I have now...

B585Ford

Reaction score
Well supposedly 2 of the cylinders ring groove was bad enough that they had to go bigger to get them cleaned up, woulda been nice if they had at least picked up the phone and said hey got a problem... oh well, I've visited with Morgan and will be getting a set of his pistons soon. One of my buddies is buying the pistons I have now...

At least that worked out really good.

78f100

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you. It sucks waiting for parts, I broke a ring putting mine together since it was ih pistons no one had any in stock so I had to wait for one set of rings, and I'm impatient. ..lol

sonic blue l

Reaction score
So what pistons are you guys running?
For example if you can run stock bore go ih? Or is there a better option?
Looking for durability and something that will last.
Also did you guys get yours coated? Fly cut? Does coating require additional clearance?
Thanks

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I am just getting the hd pistons that have been delipped, no coating. If your bore is still good I would say yes you can go stock size. Imo I wouldn't go with fly cut unless you plan on big rpm and going with big cam.

Latest posts

Members online