6.4 smoke

2008badlander

Reaction score
I have a 2008 F-250 CCSB with the 6.4 and 139,000 miles. It is deleted and has a mini maxx on it. One morning going down the road not getting on it or anything it started running rough and a check engine light came on. It was saying distribution/balance on cyl 8. Truck would smoke white when not giving it gas and dump some black smoke out when giving it gas. Its shooting oil out the exhaust. Truck feels like tires are unbalanced going down the road from the shaking. Been told its blown up but its still running pretty good beisdes the vibration and smoke. What do you guys think it is?

webb06

Reaction score
i wouldnt be driving it anywhere until you know what is wrong. could be a cracked piston since you have a contribution code for #8 cylinder...id get the compression checked on that cylinder

2008badlander

Reaction score
In some cases yes but in others no.

looks like ill be driving my ecoboost for a bit! few people have to me to try and find a cheap running 6.4 and build it up because once the 6.4 start having problems it goes down hill from there

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
it's kinda common to crack pistons on these trucks. hope you shut it down in time so you have no cylinder damage. if so you'll be decently deep on repair costs. the motor will have to be totally tore down either way.

Sent looking at my blown up 6.4

78f100

Reaction score
These things will bend a rod pretty easy if a injector sticks. I hope thats not the case for you but thats exactly what mine did when the rod bent and the piston shattered. It only knocked a few times then just a skip. I bought another motor to build that was skipping when I tore it down it also had a bent rod. The piston was broke on the bottom where the pin goes and it scared the cyl wall some. I would not run it at all till you check it out. Do a compression test, you dont even have to remove the valve cover if you have the right hose for the comp tester.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
another easy way would be to just check for blowby. fire it up and remove the oil fill cap. that'll give you a good easy clue on compression, if you wanna fire it up again.

3brorce

Reaction score
Could he hope that it may just be a sticking injector and pray that it didnt take anything else out? Just hoping for the best here. I had cylinder contribution codes when my lp fuel pump went out and took some injectors with it. Causing a rough running and smokey truck. Didnt take anything else out but still hurt the wallet. Didnt have to tear into her too far though. I would say that if it has a cracked piston that it is blown up haha

Last edited:

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
well that's exactly what happened to mine when #2 cracked. like identical. but no cylinder damage or knocking. just rough idling

I hope it's just an injector though for you lol

3brorce

Reaction score
Ya maybe if he is lucky that is all it will be without the cracked piston of course haha

cory151

Reaction score
Whats the history of the vehicle, how has it been driven? What type of maintenance? What tune do you use and when? Just curious.

2008badlander

Reaction score
I work oilfield. It's all highway miles. Regular maintance. Company paid for it so anytime truck had anything needing to be done it went to dealer. It was on wild tune 95 percent occasionally hot tune. Tunes and delete went on about 20000 ago

Latest posts

Members online