6.4 towing performance

Randall12v

Reaction score
I'm looking to get suggestions on how to get the best out of my '09 6.4, in the sig below...So far I've been unhappy with shifting and fuel mileage.

I just returned from a 1800 mile round trip, half of which was hauling a '06 Ford Escape on my 20' bumper hitch trailer (not a terribly heavy load).

With the Spartan tuning, set to "210 tow performance" I was averaging 10-11.5mpg with this load. On the trip home, with mostly empty trailer (small load of antique corrugated tin and barn wood) I could only muster 12mpg at best.

Cruise was used most of way, set between 70-75mph. Tow haul was used when I first started the trip. I'm not sure how Spartan's tuning affects the trans tuning, (if at all)...but with the trans in "tow/haul" the shifts were crazy firm, sometimes felt like slipping, others it would shift perfect, never was the shifting consistent. (Please understand, the truck has a topper, I drive like a freaking Grandpa) After a few shifts, and thinking the transmission fell out somewhere on the interstate... I turned tow/haul off which seemed to make the trans. be happy as can be.

The truck has a new "Modified Direct Clutch Solenoid" in the transmission from Empire Diesel, it did seem to make the shift points a little firm compared to factory. This was installed maybe 8-10k miles ago. This trip was the first time I hauled something this "heavy" with this new solenoid in place.

I've tried contacting a few 6.4 tuning places, and so far only been told custom tuning for the Spartan is no longer available. Even if this were possible, is it possible to make a custom tune for the transmission shift points? How does tow/haul affect the Spartan or that solenoid?

I'm at the point now where I'm willing to try something different...whether this means buy new programmer, remove the modified solenoid, other custom tuning, etc.

So with that stuff where should I start???
All I'm looking for is:
1. more consistent shifting whether in "drive" or "tow/haul"
2. better mpg's whether DD'ing or towing

Thanks in advance!

Randall12v

Reaction score
Sell the spartan and get a mini-maxx, MCC and Gearhead tunes. Problem solved.

If that is what you have...what's some real world numbers MPG wise DD'ing and towing? Not the "lie-o-meter" BS display reading.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the MCC tuning, but does that allow other tunes to be switched on the fly still to on the mini-maxx or are you only able to run one tune?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats pretty horrible but understandable. I hope nobody is tired of me using the duramax as juxtapose but its all Ive got. Im at 10 towing or even a hair under. About 11 empty.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
If you want decent mileage towing light you need to be on the 250 tune. You do seem a little low though. I get 8.5-9mpg at 28,000lb total weight with the 210 tune. 13-14 towing towing a car/trailer on the 250. Anything over 68-70mph your mpg will drop fast. very fast.

Randall12v

Reaction score
When my friend's '08 (also spartan tuned) and my '09 can only get 11-14 at most, empty, DD'ing...that's not a good day in my book.

Granted, I'm coming from my Cummins and Duramax's that were getting over 20mpg without thinking twice.

sootie

Reaction score
Sell the spartan and get a mini-maxx, MCC and Gearhead tunes. Problem solved.

truth^^^

also, there was never custom tuning for spartans that i was aware of.

the modified direct solenoid will only be affecting your 3-5 shift, none of the others. i would remove it if you are going to run Gearhead tunes.

i have a used SCT and a Used Mini maxx for sale if you are interested-pm me.

sootie

Reaction score
the compound charger setup. they run a relatively high amount of boost when under not much load.

Big R

Reaction score
11-12 mpgs isnt bad. i get 12-13 mpgs towing my 24 ft boat with my setup.

^ Thats amazing to me. I'm getting that daily drivin towing nothing but the air following me down the highway. Calm, slower driving...

JrStroker

Reaction score
I have a Spartan and a SCT with Looney Street tune. Just basic add ons. Thing runs like a top. I'm lifted 6 inches on 37x14s and I'm getting around 14mpg as a DD. 50/50 city/highway.

Cory Anderson

Latest posts

Members online