6.4 Turbos on a 6.0?

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Can't say I recall every seeing this done. A quick search turned up empty.

The triple thread in the 6.4 section got me wondering about these. http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3545

Whats stopping us from running the stock 6.4 chargers on a 6.0? The VGT control is there. Is it a lack of tunability with said VGT control?

What am I missing?

The potential of running a triple setup on a 6.0 with stock 6.4 chargers has me intrigued.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
not sure how much it would take to make different, i would assume you probably need a 6.4 intake manifold, as well as all the mounting hardware. As far as tuning goes, that i dont know, i do know that on the 6.4 vgt control is like 4 or more wires, i think two are inputs and a couple are feed backs on vgt position. And i think 6.0s dont actually use back pressure for the vgt duty cycle, its some sort of calculated back pressure, i think... dont hold me too it, i would like to see it done, i wondered about this myslef

09stroker

Reaction score
I would say it's the same reason they don't use the stock VGT in a compound setup.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Check psn If I recall there wasn't enough of a gain to make it worth the time. Unless you want to do it as a novelty.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Check psn If I recall there wasn't enough of a gain to make it worth the time. Unless you want to do it as a novelty.

Unless one wanted to add 6.4 turbos and a bigger one for triples? I think is what he was asking. Seems like one would have to add to much "stuff" for beneficial gain though. As well as there aren't alot of twined or compouded 6.0s to begin with, but if it seems worthwhile as this is further discussed put me down for possibly trying it.

jdgleason

Reaction score
not sure how much it would take to make different, i would assume you probably need a 6.4 intake manifold, as well as all the mounting hardware. As far as tuning goes, that i dont know, i do know that on the 6.4 vgt control is like 4 or more wires, i think two are inputs and a couple are feed backs on vgt position. And i think 6.0s dont actually use back pressure for the vgt duty cycle, its some sort of calculated back pressure, i think... dont hold me too it, i would like to see it done, i wondered about this myslef

:whs: The way I understand the vgt cycle on the 6.0s is commanded... not referenced. Which means that the computer anticipates and predicts back pressure based on a formula to calculate it. I know duramaxes are the opposite, where they reference boost etc to command vgt cycle. I know that the 6.4 turbos will flow a lot more air than a stock 6.0 turbo. I think the biggest hurdle would be tuning the vgt stuff in, and maybe up pipes too... lol

Charles

Reaction score
600rwhp on fuel should be doable. Especially since the chargers will be more efficient at higher pressures with the smaller engine that's moving less air pound per pound compared to the 6.4 they came off of.

Doesn't sound bad at all for a junkyard turbo.

Silverback

Reaction score
honestly I think you would need a custom built stand alone controller for the vgt seeing how the 6.4 HP turbo has an electronic actuator while the 6.0 has a oil actuated solenoid. Not to mention the monumental amount of custom fabrication to make it all work. Not worth it IMO, there are far better and proven alternatives.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I think trying to convert the 6.0 to a cr would be better time spent. After reading a thread on psn it might be a lot easier than one might think.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
I think trying to convert the 6.0 to a cr would be better time spent. After reading a thread on psn it might be a lot easier than one might think.

to do a commonrail setup? thatd be sweet..

but back on topic. other than the VGT setup-it would totally flow more air,correct?? but its about like the 6.0 turbo to the 7.3, why not just spend the money and get 38r. same thing, why not just get a bigger VGT single or build a compound setup.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I guess i dont really see why it wouldnt be a good idea? Stock turbos would be a good start to make it work, whats wrong with 600hp with awesome spool-up?

And then if you can make it work well, then you have just opened up every 6.4 turbo option to the 6.0 crowed... seams like a decent idea to me

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I must apologize. I didn't mean to post this topic and dissapear.

My ISP went to crap as I was replying to the first several replies last week. We finally got that fixed and am now slammed with work. I'll get back to this as soon as I get a chance, as I have a few more questions now.

Latest posts

Members online