6.4 vs high-mileage 6.7

VT Woodsman

Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for the add. I am in the market for my first 1-ton diesel truck and I'd prefer a powerstroke.

This will not be an every day truck for me. This will only be used to haul a 14k trailer for my tractor and mini-excavator. Ultimately I'd say I'll put t most 4-5K miles/year and only driving it in the summer/fall (here in New England they load salt on the roads all winter). I am looking for something fairly cheap (<$25K) as this will not be an every-day work truck and deleted with good power.

My question is A) how bad is the 6.4 really? and B) would you rather go with a high-mileage, newer 6.7 or an older but great condition otherwise 6.4?

And the 6.4's are often so cheap, why don't people buy one fully expecting you may need to do an engine replacement? Is it delusional for me to think about getting a 6.4 with the mindset i'll swap in a 6.7 (or Cummins, etc) engine in the next 12-24 months for $15k or so? I am wondering why buying cheap 6.4's and swapping out the engine if they blow out isn't more popular.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I have a 2014 F250 with a 6.7 185k miles. I have never done a thing to it. After treatment needed some attention but the engine has been rock solid.

I am sure there are decent 6.4s out there but you don't hear about them often.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Any high milege 6.4s I see 220k or over are on their 2nd or 3rd engine pissing oil from bed plate and have 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts

Racer71

Reaction score
I have a 6.4 that needed engine replacement when I bought it at 83k, lots of money in parts and machine work later hopefully I have a dead reliable one if such a thing exists. Billet rods new heads turned crank stg2 cam etc. 20k miles in so far so good. Love the power and interior coming from a 6.0 truck that made really good power. If I could’ve got a 6.0 with newer style interior I’d went that route, my 6.0 was super reliable after doing the usual things.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would never suggest a 6.4 for anything but a fun toy. When they run, they run amazing, when they don’t run, which is fairly often, they are very expensive. In my opinion they’re the best looking of the bunch, but the headaches ain’t worth it. I would go 6.7 even higher mileage over a 6.4. If you can, get a 15+, as they’ve got a better hi pressure pump, and better turbo design than the 11-14s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I own a 08 6.4 and love it! The engine itself has not given me problems, But a faulty VGT controller caused a high boost/backpressure spike while towing and it took out the head gaskets. Other than that it's been rock solid to 319k miles.

With that said, I would go for the 6.7. The way the engine and transmission work together is simply way better than the 6.4 year range pickups. Not to mention the newer suspension on the 6.7 pickups handle loads better. As in you do not feel what the trailer is doing back there. The pickup does not sway around like the 08 to 10 do. That shows up big time with a live load and/or rough roads.

I will also add this, do not shop by miles but by the hours of the engine. Also avoid a pickup that has a lot of Idle hours. This is my opinion.

sootie

Reaction score
Have you installed the piggy bank and tissue box in your console yet? You'll need the tissues for the tears and the savings for the pending repair...
Congrats on reaching 20% of your engines lifespan! @Racer71

ncollins64

Reaction score
I’ll agree and disagree with all of this. In my opinion I love a 6.4 when done right for a toy, you just can’t beat the power. Personally I’ve never had a problem with a 6.4, just stud jobs that was caused by me. I over maintenance and just take care of my stuff. That said a 6.7 just runs and tows like a dream. The interiors are similar. As far as handling weight, the 6.4s have heavier springs and will handle more weight comfortably, the 11-16 250 and 350 6.7s had soft ass springs in the back and squat like crazy with the smallest of loads, bags or similar is almost mandatory but the engine and trans run amazing.

Petro

Reaction score
I have a soft spot for the 6.4 also, personally own two at the current moment. A 450 with 170, currently in the shop getting an engine and a 250 with a 150k, currently sitting with a cracked piston. Unless you feel really lucky or like to pull wrenches, buy a 6.7. They fail also, just not as often. With that being said, I still prefer the way a 6.4 runs over a 6.7 and I like working on then more.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.