6.4L coolant draining procedure

punkrockford

Reaction score
Hey guys i am looking for the correct procedure on completely draining the cooling system on my 2010 6.4L. i am going to switch over to waterless coolant and there can be no more then 3% water in the system when installing their coolant. Have been doing some research and some basic testing and have discovered what happens when normal coolant gets hot and then the water starts to vaporize. leaves a gel behind that clogs up coolant passages in the egr coolers and elsewhere. This waterless coolant also prevents electrolysis. So does anyone know the best way to get all the coolant out of the engine , radiator, heater core ect? thanks guys

chadfraser65

Reaction score
Have you tried compressed air and running it through the coolant areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punkrockford

Reaction score
the company that makes the waterless coolant says to use a high volume low pressure blower (shop vac) i am just not sure what needs to be disconnected to get all the coolant out. like i said they allow 3% water at the max which for all intents and purpose means all water. Am hoping someone has the recommended for procedure , if any for completely draining the cooling system. my truck has 32,500 miles on it and had had one dealer flush.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
There is a plug on each side of the block towards the rear and if you yank those out you will get a lot out of the block itself. The pass side can be tough to get to, prob have to remove the starter. The driver side is pretty easy. You can also split the lower radiator hose, that drains plenty too

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online