6.7 2011 Lariat FOCAL/JL Project advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
UNBROKEN, it is my understanding that you are the sound man, if so please chime in. Others are welcome to also advise!

I want to replace my front door speakers and tweeters with FOCAL units. I saw some aftermarket wire kits and baffle packages to ease my installation. I have already upgraded my batteries to Optima yellows, and the truck is a one-alternator from the factory. I hear that there isn't a "real concern" with the need for my rear door speakers to be replaced because the subwoofer upgrades and front components will compensate for the entire surround? As for subwoofer(s), I was thinking of switching out to one JL audio 10" subwoofer in a custom enclosure. Clueless as to what I need for amps but I saw JL had some nice ones. Would the "CleanSweep" unit be necessary to accent my aftermarket sound system?

I don't listen to Rap or anything like that; just some occasional trance, mostly rock though. So, with all of this being said, please advise what you would recommend for my anticipated project :)

truckman1974

Reaction score
See if you can find this guy.....he can probably point you in the right direction. :doh:

Especially if you're just looking for something subtle... :lookaround:

tuning_extrem_1210432794_37854.jpg

CMCx2012

Reaction score
That guy? I sold him that car last Christmas. Despite what he told you, I had Best Buy install everything and he got an outstanding deal on that car for $12,500.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
It's all about budget. Throw out a realistic number and we can go from there.
My last build the front speakers alone were $5500.00 so don't say you want the best of the best. lol

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Oh, I already saw some of those FOCAL prices, lol. This certainly isn't a show truck, and I definitely do not want to be mistaken for the "neighborhood drug dealer truck" because of any thump! One 10" subwoofer is enough.

Total estimated budget is $1850-- not a penny more, not a penny less! I just want a set of sound-pushers that I can jam some Black Sabbath, FFDP, or the lastest country out of ;)

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
It's all about budget. Throw out a realistic number and we can go from there.
My last build the front speakers alone were $5500.00 so don't say you want the best of the best. lol

What drivers were you using? I am familiar with super high end home audio drivers like Seas, Scanspeak or Acuton (love those Avalons that use those ceramic drivers). Not real familiar with the latest audio stuff though.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
My last system was a Clarion DRZ9255 HU, Mosconi 6to8v8 DSP with RCD controller, two Mosconi AS200.4's, Illusion Audio Carbon C12XL sub and Focal Utopia Be 3 ways. The whole build was over $20K but I was unbeaten in my class in MECA in 2014...that includes the alternator, batteries, wiring, install and all.

For your budget if you want real, real good that will get loud and stay clear...Focal KRX2.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
It hasn't arrived yet because at the last minute I read the description and I didn't see that it "WOULD NOT FIT MODELS WITH POWER SLIDING REAR WINDOW", so that created a slight delay. A crisis was averted and I have to say that the service from SuperCrewSound has been top notch and I certainly recommend them. The product has not showed up in delivery just yet but I will review when it arrives. Again, I haven't seen one negative review!

As for my components- would anyone care to contribute their .02 or experiences regarding the FOCAL 165 6.5 or the Hertz HSK component setup for up front? I will also be running the JL Audio 10TW3 (4 ohm) subwoofer, which is a 10". My budget on this entire system is $2500 and I do not want to think about even having to spend another cent more!

Last edited:

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Are yours the Access series ? I have yet to hear a better component for the money than the Focal stuff. As for the sub I have a 13.5, it's plenty for me on its own.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
the 13.5 by itself is pretty weak if you want it to hit hard., you need 2 at minimum , IMO . i have focals in all my trucks , i think they are KX165 , and if you have a crew cab you need 2 sets. at least my 13' has components front and rear.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
If your budget is 2500...look at the hertz hsk165s for up front. Hertz coax in rear.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I heard and read that the HERTZ blows the FOCAL 165 6.5's out of the water! I would hope so for such rave reviews and a pretty steep price tag..

I believe the HERTZ HSK 165XL are the speakers that I will end up going with because my music is what is most important on a long cruise!

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
the 13.5 by itself is pretty weak if you want it to hit hard., you need 2 at minimum , IMO . i have focals in all my trucks , i think they are KX165 , and if you have a crew cab you need 2 sets. at least my 13' has components front and rear.

If you like bro bass yes lol, I like more subtle bass. I'm over my shake your truck apart bass days. But yeah two 13.5's would get down for sure.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Great point SEA! I don't want to be confused with the neighborhood drug dealer. Lol. I just want to have a great stereo with superb quality in every aspect to jam along to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online