6.7 carnage

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
As I have now had this truck since August I have made some observations.

First off, this thing has a tremendous amount of low end. I am still surprised as how it feels from a stop.

Second, this thing loves to lug down. I have to make it downshift more than I have any other diesel pickup with an auto. It is nothing for the converter to be locked in overdrive at about 45-50 MPH and be lugging along at 8-900 RPM. It will do this all of the time and you have to give it a fair amount of throttle to get the converter to unlock and down shift. I am amazed at how it can pull itself out of the hole without downshifting, like a straight 6, however with additional power that can become devastating to the truck, engine, trans, driveline, etc. I am just wondering if the lugging nature of this engine is going to be watched carefully and altered with tuning. Just some thoughts.

Chris

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score

First off, this thing has a tremendous amount of low end. I am still surprised as how it feels from a stop.

Second, this thing loves to lug down. I have to make it downshift more than I have any other diesel pickup with an auto. It is nothing for the converter to be locked in overdrive at about 45-50 MPH and be lugging along at 8-900 RPM. It will do this all of the time and you have to give it a fair amount of throttle to get the converter to unlock and down shift. I am amazed at how it can pull itself out of the hole without downshifting, like a straight 6, however with additional power that can become devastating to the truck, engine, trans, driveline, etc. I am just wondering if the lugging nature of this engine is going to be watched carefully and altered with tuning. Just some thoughts.

Chris

Very good point!! Thanks for sharing

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I'm looking at these pics on my phone so maybe I'm missing some detail, but I thought I'd float this idea out there....

FWIW, that looks more like a catastrophic piston failure to me. It looks like the wrist pin split the pin boss and took the bottom half of the piston with it. The rod looks like it may have just been collateral damage.

Can someone point out in the pics the failure mode to disprove this theory? I'm certainly not arguing that those rods look a little on the skinny side, it just appears that there is a pretty clean fracture around the bottom half of that piston. From what I can see, it doesn't look like the rod beat it to death from underneath.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I know its terrible but i just have to lol. Ford just can't win with there diesels!

But I can't talk, I drive a Lb7 :(

quicksilver11

Reaction score

Chris

That's why I lock mine out of 6th until I'm over 60. I did the same with my dodge.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
No. I have it on good word that they weren't making 600hp at the wheels. They were running into the same issues as everyone else.

Nate, don't take it like I'm trying to dog the 6.7... I have spent a lot of time studying the books and layouts for some time now and I'm excited for the new engine to make some positive progress BUT things like this can deteriorate enthusiasm when they let go sub-550hp with just bolt on's. I honestly don't foresee this platform following the footsteps of its 6.4 counterpart when it comes to bolt and go performance. Atleast not right now

it was over 600 but not by much. ford did the development for the guy. info is from the ford engineer.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I'm looking at these pics on my phone so maybe I'm missing some detail, but I thought I'd float this idea out there....

FWIW, that looks more like a catastrophic piston failure to me. It looks like the wrist pin split the pin boss and took the bottom half of the piston with it. The rod looks like it may have just been collateral damage.

Can someone point out in the pics the failure mode to disprove this theory? I'm certainly not arguing that those rods look a little on the skinny side, it just appears that there is a pretty clean fracture around the bottom half of that piston. From what I can see, it doesn't look like the rod beat it to death from underneath.
Sooooo, no comment?

I'm looking at the pics on my 25" desktop monitor now and it still looks like the bottom half of the piston got yanked off, not pounded off.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Sooooo, no comment?

I'm looking at the pics on my 25" desktop monitor now and it still looks like the bottom half of the piston got yanked off, not pounded off.

There's a million things it could be, the pics don't show enough to tell. I'm sure it will come to light soon though.

Marty

Reaction score
I'm going to agree the rods look skinny. The fact the rods are bent tell me the piston damage came later.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I guess I should go ahead and add that the turbo kit from Industrial on this truck uses a s400 charger. Not sure where I came up with a K31 now that Im looking back on it. If I recall though the first twin kit they had in testing used that charger, I even think we had a thread about it on PSN, I'll have to look. Regardless, the production based kit comes with an S400 atmosphere, to correct a previous post I had made in here.

I also heard that Crower is making rods for these engines and there are Mahle replacement pistons available as well. Absolute also has pushrods ready for you 6.7 boys as well :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online