6.7 F-550 as fire apparatus

eng53ine

Reaction score
So I've been pushing for a new grass/brush rig at the F.D., originally I was going for a cclb 550 flatbed to throw our 200gl skid and tools on. the main reason I was pushing for a 550 was so it could do its job and also we'd have our own truck capable of towing our safety house. Now it has been changed to a light rescue/ grass rig with a rescue body, housing the 200gl skid plus rescue tools.
My main question is what are your thoughts on the performance and reliability of the 6.7 in this application.

example of set up

rescue_zps34e6f9ac.jpg

rescue2_zpsa400065b.jpg

the 200gl skid

skid_zpsde091bcf.jpg

the trailer

safteyhouse_zpsfa5cf7bc.jpg

any input is appreciated.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
We love our brush truck. No problems so far. Tows a double axle trailer with a 6x6 and a quad on it. Only problem is watching guys drive it with the trailer who can barely handle their focus. Its scary to watch.

79a42228de0f8f1044307d5efafa6b98.jpg

eng53ine

Reaction score
We love our brush truck. No problems so far. Tows a double axle trailer with a 6x6 and a quad on it. Only problem is watching guys drive it with the trailer who can barely handle their focus. Its scary to watch.

79a42228de0f8f1044307d5efafa6b98.jpg

The driving will be interesting for sure, it'll also tow a 16' trailer with a Polaris.
how big is the tank on that truck?

webb06

Reaction score
I'd say the year of the truck has a lot to do with reliability. The early 6.7 can chassis trucks had a lot of trouble with turbos. I think they revised them in 15 to be better. So

eng53ine

Reaction score
I'd say the year of the truck has a lot to do with reliability. The early 6.7 can chassis trucks had a lot of trouble with turbos. I think they revised them in 15 to be better. So

Hopefully I can push them to a 15 if it goes through, the 15s have a single correct?

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637, IH bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel.

webb06

Reaction score
Hopefully I can push them to a 15 if it goes through, the 15s have a single correct?

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637, IH bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel.

All 6.7's have a single turbo. The regular pickups have 2 compressor wheels on one shaft though whereas the cab chassis models have just a basic turbo.

eng53ine

Reaction score
All 6.7's have a single turbo. The regular pickups have 2 compressor wheels on one shaft though whereas the cab chassis models have just a basic turbo.

Oh ok I thought the early ones had twins

gnxtc2

Reaction score
FYI:

We have a 2011 F550 for an ESU truck. I was an early 6.7 motor in a C&C and it dropped a valve. The motor locked up and towed back to Ford for warranty. Ford wanted to see the service records for the motor before owning up to their manufacturing defect. The oil was being changed every 5k miles. Ford attached their computer and they were able to tell the difference between idle hours, driving hours and mileage. They used a formula to convert idle hours to mileage and we were way over. Ford flagged the truck, put it out of warranty. The motor had 10k miles on it. The truck is used 90% of the time on all three shifts and is left running most of the time. The only time it is shut off, is at shift change due to the key tracker/peg board we have.

Phone calls were made between department heads and Ford corporate. Ford stated they would warranty the motor but the mechanics needed to be "schooled" on maintanence by them. Agreements were made.

To maintain the warranty on the new motor, all fluids/filters need to be replaced every 200 hours regards of mileage. Ford even stated the 4.6 Crown Vic motor filters/fluids should follow the 200 hours regiment. We never have a 4.6 motor issue.

So before going out and buying the truck, speak with the dealer and your mechanic concerning the 200 hours. Around here, all municipalities are steering away from the 6.7 and going to gas motors because they don't want to deal with the 200 hour BS.

Oh yea, the mechanic that replaced the motor was told not to speak with anyone concerning what happened to the original motor. Our mechanic met with the Ford mechanic in the back parking lot and told him the motor dropped a valve. Ford was trying not to cover the issue and putting blame on the customer for neglect.

Billy T.
[email protected]

eng53ine

Reaction score
FYI:

We have a 2011 F550 for an ESU truck. I was an early 6.7 motor in a C&C and it dropped a valve. The motor locked up and towed back to Ford for warranty. Ford wanted to see the service records for the motor before owning up to their manufacturing defect. The oil was being changed every 5k miles. Ford attached their computer and they were able to tell the difference between idle hours, driving hours and mileage. They used a formula to convert idle hours to mileage and we were way over. Ford flagged the truck, put it out of warranty. The motor had 10k miles on it. The truck is used 90% of the time on all three shifts and is left running most of the time. The only time it is shut off, is at shift change due to the key tracker/peg board we have.

Phone calls were made between department heads and Ford corporate. Ford stated they would warranty the motor but the mechanics needed to be "schooled" on maintanence by them. Agreements were made.

To maintain the warranty on the new motor, all fluids/filters need to be replaced every 200 hours regards of mileage. Ford even stated the 4.6 Crown Vic motor filters/fluids should follow the 200 hours regiment. We never have a 4.6 motor issue.

So before going out and buying the truck, speak with the dealer and your mechanic concerning the 200 hours. Around here, all municipalities are steering away from the 6.7 and going to gas motors because they don't want to deal with the 200 hour BS.

Oh yea, the mechanic that replaced the motor was told not to speak with anyone concerning what happened to the original motor. Our mechanic met with the Ford mechanic in the back parking lot and told him the motor dropped a valve. Ford was trying not to cover the issue and putting blame on the customer for neglect.

Billy T.

[email protected]

Nice thanks for the info, I hate to hear that

bluedge8

Reaction score
Why wouldn't the maintenance reminder do that math for you and let you know when to change oil based on hrs and miles combined???????? Also It would be hard for me to believe that if Ford wanted the source of the failure secret- they would then have to warranty the repair- if I'm paying for a new motor I sure as hell am going to want to know why it failed.

Latest posts

Members online