6.7 No Pilot Injection?

Randy_270

Reaction score
Are there any advantages to removing the pilot injection? Any fuel mileage gains? How does it effect performance? Would it effect the connecting rods? What about any changes to injector life? I like my truck quiet, I can go through drive threws without having to shut off my truck but if no pilot injection is beneficial then it might be worth considering.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Yes and it made the engine a little louder.

Does it rise cylinder pressure like what it does on a 6.4? They has big thread on here about pilot injection on a 6.4 and the conclusion was that it rose it some much that you run the risk of blowing head gaskets. Also was there any other negative effects and or positive effects on removing the PI?

If it doesn't I would love to have no pilot injection on a 6.7 the 6.7 it self is to quiet for me LOL.

Thanks for you reply KEM.

KEM Performance

Reaction score
Are there any advantages to removing the pilot injection? Any fuel mileage gains? How does it effect performance? Would it effect the connecting rods? What about any changes to injector life? I like my truck quiet, I can go through drive threws without having to shut off my truck but if no pilot injection is beneficial then it might be worth considering.

Not really any advantage to doing this. Fuel economy did decrease during our testing and at some points there were some drive-ability concerns. Although pilot injection does quiet the engine somewhat (most noticeable to the end user), it does make for a more efficient burn yielding better power and emissions as well as lower overall cylinder pressures.

Mike

KEM Performance

Reaction score
Does it rise cylinder pressure like what it does on a 6.4? They has big thread on here about pilot injection on a 6.4 and the conclusion was that it rose it some much that you run the risk of blowing head gaskets. Also was there any other negative effects and or positive effects on removing the PI?

If it doesn't I would love to have no pilot injection on a 6.7 the 6.7 it self is to quiet for me LOL.

Thanks for you reply KEM.

I did many months of testing (actually years) with cylinder pressure pickups and pilot injection on the 6.0L and 6.4L (benefit of working with the OEM!). Although it was calibrated out shortly after the 2003 6.0L release due to the inconsistencies of the G2 injectors, pilot injector on a common rail engine is very reliable and beneficial. Unless you have a true competition vehicle, I would not tune it out.

Mike

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I did many months of testing (actually years) with cylinder pressure pickups and pilot injection on the 6.0L and 6.4L (benefit of working with the OEM!). Although it was calibrated out shortly after the 2003 6.0L release due to the inconsistencies of the G2 injectors, pilot injector on a common rail engine is very reliable and beneficial. Unless you have a true competition vehicle, I would not tune it out.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your replies and info.

Idiesel

Reaction score
I see the benefit of this being on the injectors and for power stand point but potentially hurt the rods or head gasket. But I do agree with the select few I wish they were alittle louder at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idiesel

Reaction score
Where does it say it has a 6.7? I read the comments and everything. I love the sound that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The entire engine is designed around pilot injection. There are so many benefits to having pilot injection that removing it I'm afraid you are taking two steps backwards by doing so.

To keep it simple... clean burn = more HP.

Also remember that most engine designers, especially emissions engine designers, build the engine around the CAM. And pilot injection compliments the cam.

This isn't like the days of HEUI fuel system where actual in cylinder timing was an issue because of the lag of oil response and slow electronics.

pilot injection also smooths the power curve per cylinder event in the name of keeping the CP in check. In return giving you a longer..... wait for it..... powerstroke....!

Figured I'd toss two cents in...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.