6.7 reliability

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Ok, not sure where to post this but I've come across some 6.4's w/ low miles, 84k and some 6.7's.
Not looking for huge hp gains over my 6.0 but just looking for a newer vehicle, a few more bells and whistles.

Can anyone give a basic comparison on reliability. I know the 6.4's need ARPS and some other goodies. I ran one in stock form and it was well enough but the 6.7 in stock form have a bunch of pep.

Theres about a $5-8k difference in cost and the 6.4 can be found w/ less than 125k but the 6.7's are in the 150k mile range.

Any thoughts?

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I have only read about the 6.4 problems but you will spend a minimum of 5-8k on 6.4 repairs or on a 6.7 up front and never look back. 6.7 hands down.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I personally love 6.4s. Best looking of the group in my opinion, and when they run, they run ****ing amazing. Unfortunately a lot of their time is spent in the shop with the cab off and multiple 5-15k bills, even if you do the work yourself...

So, that being said, I’d do a 6.7 over the 6.4...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I have only read about the 6.4 problems but you will spend a minimum of 5-8k on 6.4 repairs or on a 6.7 up front and never look back. 6.7 hands down.

I personally love 6.4s. Best looking of the group in my opinion, and when they run, they run ****ing amazing. Unfortunately a lot of their time is spent in the shop with the cab off and multiple 5-15k bills, even if you do the work yourself...

So, that being said, I’d do a 6.7 over the 6.4...

What are the "weak link" repairs besides HG on the 6.4? I can address the intake/exhaust components and that known coolant/exhaust issue is moot. I have access to a lift so I could do that fix and to ARPs at the same time.

I've seen the misc my XyZ broke but on a normal day-to-day basis what is the real problem? Is it fixable for a close to stock DD?
If I expand my search 6.4 can be had w/ less than 150k in the $18-24,000 range.

On 6.7's is something like this a good deal? Sorry for the long a$$ autotrader link 2013 lariat.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eList=FORD&searchRadius=0&clickType=spotlight

ghohouston

Reaction score
Up pipes crack when they aren't replaced with a different style that has a provision removed on 6.4's. Head gaskets like stated, rocker arms, lifters, etc. I'd go with a 6.7 over a 6.4 in a heartbeat. I do however have a guy whose trucks I work on, and he has 2 6.4s that have really suprised me. Both of them have over 200k, both missing things, and both get worked daily, and he hasn't had many major problems other than up pipes on both, and one truck did blow head gaskets though.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What are the "weak link" repairs besides HG on the 6.4? I can address the intake/exhaust components and that known coolant/exhaust issue is moot. I have access to a lift so I could do that fix and to ARPs at the same time.

I've seen the misc my XyZ broke but on a normal day-to-day basis what is the real problem? Is it fixable for a close to stock DD?
If I expand my search 6.4 can be had w/ less than 150k in the $18-24,000 range.

On 6.7's is something like this a good deal? Sorry for the long a$$ autotrader link 2013 lariat.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eList=FORD&searchRadius=0&clickType=spotlight

Aside from head gaskets, fuel systems are very temperamental, rocker arms, front covers cavitating and dumping coolant in the oil, hi pressure turbo issues, exhaust leaks, exhaust manifold bolts breaking off and being damn near impossible to drill, and pistons cracking

Oh and coolant leaks, radiators, water pumps, hoses, some of which I would remove if I were to buy one

That 6.7 looks decent, but if you can swing it, buying a 15-16 would be better. The 11-14 turbos are junk, and it would be only a matter of time before one shots the bed. Then I’d be looking at doing a retrofit to it, which is 3k in parts, plus your time or a shops time to do it, and then getting new tunes, and possibly putting in the later hi pressure pump while you’re in there, you would more than likely be offsetting the cost of a newer one. Unless of course you’re talking a 20-30k difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Every 6.4 will succumb to lifter/cam failure.

Headgaskets, at least from what I see are super rare unless you're on a 200hp tune. I just simply don't see failure here.

6.7s have come in with random bottom end and cam failure all across the board.

That being said I'd go with 6.7 since they are newer and will hold value longer and they are somewhat more worthy to spend $8k when the fuel system ****s.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Up pipes crack when they aren't replaced with a different style that has a provision removed on 6.4's. Head gaskets like stated, rocker arms, lifters, etc. I'd go with a 6.7 over a 6.4 in a heartbeat.

Hey man how's it going? Hope DFW still treating you well.

Didn't know about the up pipes. When I had my 08 the tech
At the dealer said no extended idling and no extended oil change, he said both seem to cause rocker failure.
Is that the issue or is it something else?

I also had considered the 6.4 route with the idea to convert to a 5.9 mechanical injection with a set of compounds when the 6.4 died.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Imo the 6.4 has almost no upgraded bells and whistles.

Were there even any Bluetooth 6.4s? Cooled seats? Don't think so.

Need to just skip the thought of a 6.4 all together

sootie

Reaction score
Imo the 6.4 has almost no upgraded bells and whistles.

Were there even any Bluetooth 6.4s? Cooled seats? Don't think so.

Need to just skip the thought of a 6.4 all together

2010 6.4s had sync. no cooled seats.

mohead1

Reaction score
Love my 4Fifty w a 6.4 and its a good puller

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
While the 6.0 had a legendary reputation for being a terrible motor. (Which i dont think they really are that bad) international had a good run with the vt365. The 6.4 on the other hand was a 2 yr motor. It apears from my front yard a high percentage of trucks didnt make 150k with the original motor. Most trucks for sale are either broken or just had a new motor installed. On the flip side international also seems to have had hell with them as well. The maxforce 7 or 8 im not sure. I thought the 6.4 were cool trucks back in the day but as it stands today a 2yr production run means limited parts. The motors seem expensive as well. If it were me id wait if i could as currently i could trade my 2016 lariat for more than i bought it for in 2016. Which is plane stupid. Ive had a few 6.0 trucks and still have one as well as a 16 6.7. My 06 lariat vs a well equipped 11+ xl was a very comparable truck. The only options id miss would be leather, carpet, digital climate control and heated seats. So for a base model truck in a 7yr newer truck it has alot more bells and whistles. But in the current market unless you stumble apon a deal id wait and see if the market falls on trucks as fuel prices rise. If i were choosing id pick a 6.7 any day over a 6.4. Just know that either truck can have fuel pump issues and it can be expensive. The 11-16 trucks have been around a while and other than turbos and valve issues most have seemed to be solid trucks if they were reasonably maintained.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Same. Any 6.4 I see above 150k are on 2nd engine. Same with 250k. Going on they're 3rd.

PyroFighter

Reaction score
Just to give light from the other side of the 6.4 spectrum... I had one for a couple years and absolutely loved it and never had an issue but it only had 80k or so when it had to go. Best towing truck I’ve had to date, and I’ve had a 6.0, 6.4 ,and a 6.7 powerstroke, along with 3 5.9’s and 2 6.7 Cummins.. My Father has an 08 he bought brand new, running OG Sprtn tunes and simple dlts. Only issues he’s ever had was a new hpfp at like 20k miles that was fixed under warranty. My buddy had one he sold last year that had 230k on it Original engine and all. At like 200k we put a single 364.5sxe on it and gave it hell. Then at work we have 2 6.4’s that are drove HARD. And by hard I mean cold starts, then drove balls out to a call, then right back and parked. Both have over 100k, ones bone stock never been worked on, the other had to have weight loss but other than that no issues.

Now, me, my father, and my buddy all do religious maintenance and lubricity treatment every tank. The 2 from work are flat abused, might get an oil change once a year and fuel filters every couple of years.

PyroFighter

Reaction score
Same. Any 6.4 I see above 150k are on 2nd engine. Same with 250k. Going on they're 3rd.

From a tech standpoint are most of the ones you see with issues seem to be 08’s? I see blown up 08’s on market place all the time but seems like You rarely see an 09 or 10 with issues.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Def job 1 08s are most popular on failure list. I rarely ever even see 2010s period.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Thanks for all the options.

CTC, I wonder why the job1 are problematic?

Still looking to see what screams my name but at the moment not seeing anything that I can't live w/o.

Sixfoh

Reaction score
Its like an introduction of a new powertrain, the first year(s) tend to have bugs that need to be worked out. Even if the manufacturer does ample testing. Nothing compares to thousands of customers real world uses which vary dramatically.

To answer your original question, i would advise you to go 6.7 as most would. Im a 6.4 guy too, yes they have a bunch of problems, its a platform im comfortable with and enjoy.