7.3 Boost Issue

Reaction score
Hey guys i just recently traded a good family friend my deleted and tuned 6.4 for a late 99 f250 with 83k. He was the original owner and the truck only moved if his 29' fountain boat was on the back. The truck is clean its always had the oil changed at 5k with royal purple. The truck has all the basic bolt on's exhaust intake and a hypertech programmer:lame:. The issue is hes been thru the truck new up pipes no boost leaks good fuel and oil pressure and an adustable wastegate. The truck will pull 17psi and then the wastegate opens it will drop to 15 and pick back up to 17. The wastegate will flutter as low as 10psi I know its venting boost but with an aftermarket waste gate the ecu should have no control over it. Its done this with the factory waste gate and that adjustable one. I wanna take the truck to ford and reflash it back to stock and start fresh since the programmer was lost. Im not sure yet on what i wanna do for a chip leaning towards a 6 position with TW tunes. I dont really wanna get to crazy with the truck i had that with my 6.4. What are your guys thoughts and opionions on what could be going on and what to do to the truck. So far i absolutely love the truck iv been around it since i was young and its always held a special place in my life.

Reaction score
I was pretty upside down in the truck. Long story short broke up with the fiance after i had just bought her a brand new fusion sport i took a 10k hit and rolled it into my truck. He presented a deal i really couldnt pass up and it saves me almost 400 a month so hopefully i can buy a house next spring. I will miss my truck alot but i will not miss the payment and i know its going to a real good home.

Reaction score
No i have not what do you do? I was gonna dive into the wastegate this weekend i was acutally thinking about putting the factory one back on.

Reaction score
Ok thanks ill have to wait till this weekend when i can get to the shop for the scan tool. What psi are you suppose to set the wastegate at when it starts to move? I thought i remember 10 psi.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
depends on what pressure you want it to open at, MIL will illuminate at boost pressures above 24psi unless you have a boost fooler

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Sounds like classic surge symptoms.

You will NEVER, EVER hear the wastegate on a factory 7.3 turbo. Just not going to happen.

And thats the exact place you will get surge on a mild modded 7.3...

Throw a different compressor wheel on it, or a ported housing.

To be crystal clear... Its not your wastegate.

Reaction score
Im planning on putting a boost fooler on it. The truck isnt really modified it has a crappy hypertech tune on it which isnt turned up to hot. Its mainly in there for the shift firmness. My dads truck wont surge until at least 20psi but it will hold it. I had a pretty decent diesel tech in my area drive it and he didnt think it was the common 7.3 turbo cavitation. It just doesnt pull and hold boost like it should. I cant rule out the boost gauge being off either but iv never really heard of a boost gauge going bad.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Im planning on putting a boost fooler on it. The truck isnt really modified it has a crappy hypertech tune on it which isnt turned up to hot. Its mainly in there for the shift firmness. My dads truck wont surge until at least 20psi but it will hold it. I had a pretty decent diesel tech in my area drive it and he didnt think it was the common 7.3 turbo cavitation. It just doesnt pull and hold boost like it should. I cant rule out the boost gauge being off either but iv never really heard of a boost gauge going bad.

Its turbo surge, dont care what your "diesel tech" said. A simple intake and exhaust will cause more surge, put a 40-50hp tune on there and it will surge more.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Buddy has 180/100s with a stock turbo. It surges at 10, 15, 20... Anywhere and at any time .. surge is surge, nothing says it can't happen under 20 psi. Waste your time and money on a fooler, reflash, New turbo , whatever... Then listen to people who have delt with it before.. get a ww and be done

sent while looking at a hole in my block

TARM

Reaction score
CSIPSD is 100% correct IMO. If you are on the throttle and its not during a shift or when you left off the throttle is classic surge. It its happening during upshifts and off throttle its stall. They are the same basic effect but stall is quite normally without a loop back to the intake for bleeding off pressure. Surge is under pressure and far more damaging as it stresses the bearings.

Two things can fix it. 100% fix is ATS comp cover. So have luck with the wicker wheel (van wheel) I think it sucks personally. Its louder and moves less air for a given speed. THe other thing is the tuning. Many times dropping the fueling is areas of the map can resolve the issue.

Take TW I had terrible surge. Matts none at all. These were stock injectors stock turbo. It was the only change. The difference was how the fueling was brought in.

THe other choice of course is a upgrade say to a 38R or H2E.

I would first get the tuning fixed. I highly recommend Matt @ gearhead. If you had 6.8 tunes and were on that forum then you likely know of him. See what relief that brings. After that you maybe could go and try to find a used ATS cover or upgrade the turbo.

IF you want to prove to yourself its not the wastegate take some wire and wiring the arm completely shut. You will see you still have the same stuff happening. The exact level might change if there was some leakage from the WG but the actual issue will still be there.

Reaction score
Thanks guys im sorry if im sounding like a prick im not trying to be. In your opinions is a ported housing better than a wheel? So i shouldnt worry about putting a boost fooler on it? Buddy said throw the housing and a ww at it.

Reaction score
Ok so would it be worth it to put the ATS ported housing and a new generation WW in it?
I would like to put a 38R on it but I have other financial obligations at the moment. I just want to get the truck running good.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.