7.3 build

shorty2tall

Reaction score
So I really want to build a 6-700HP dd 7.3. What are some power combos? What internally needs to be done rods pistons? Studs top and bottom. What valve springs and push rods? What turbo set up?
What size injectors?

Patrick

TARM

Reaction score
Maybe start by looking at the sticky thread at the top of the forums first page at those then do a few searchs as many threads are out there for various HP builds.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
Ive looked I have a general Idea what I need but more or less what brands do the guys that have built something similar recommend for pistons rods and all that u listed injectors and hpop I know who I'm going with so mainly hard parts and turbo or turbos

Patrick

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
A fairly commonly used way to make 550-600 daily driver would be an injector with a 200% nozzle and at least 300cc.

a single turbo in the 72-76mm range. There is a s474 floating around from Borg-Warner I believe that seems to match 300/200 injectors VERY well.

A fuel system utilizing dual walbros, dual stock pumps, A1000 (or equivilent Fuellab pump). 5/8 from tank into first filter, 3/8 from there to heads.

A transmission similar to a BTS, dont think I would trust any of the local shops that claim they can.... that doesnt cut it past 450hp. Leave it to the pro's, you get what you pay for.

ARP studs, Chromoly push rods of some sort, something better than 910 springs (comp cams has another option, just dont know the part number).

A modded IDM

EXTREMELY GOOD TUNING

Dual oil pumps of some sort. BTS, Gen3, Terminator, Stealth are some options

That right there could make 600+ on a dyno and be tuned to run sub 500 most of the time. If you truely want the 700hp that your title states then I would add around 10-12k for a full motor build to slap all those parts on.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
A fairly commonly used way to make 550-600 daily driver would be an injector with a 200% nozzle and at least 300cc.

a single turbo in the 72-76mm range. There is a s474 floating around from Borg-Warner I believe that seems to match 300/200 injectors VERY well.

A fuel system utilizing dual walbros, dual stock pumps, A1000 (or equivilent Fuellab pump). 5/8 from tank into first filter, 3/8 from there to heads.

A transmission similar to a BTS, dont think I would trust any of the local shops that claim they can.... that doesnt cut it past 450hp. Leave it to the pro's, you get what you pay for.

ARP studs, Chromoly push rods of some sort, something better than 910 springs (comp cams has another option, just dont know the part number).

A modded IDM

EXTREMELY GOOD TUNING

That right there could make 600+ on a dyno and be tuned to run sub 500 most of the time. If you truely want the 700hp that your title states then I would add around 10-15k or more for a full motor build to slap all those parts on.

Even to hit 600 I need a motor build 02 with pmr's this is going to get built over the next year or 2 not in a rush the only thing I'm getting soon is a JW trans the 240,00 on the one in the truck is starting to die hits 180 easy unloaded.
And I'd but the WOT motor if I could buy don't have money to throw at it right now.
I'm going to have machine work done but parts as I can then have it all thrown together cause u don't have the tool to rebuild it and never rebuilt anything and rather not my first one be a 10-15k engine build get it in and it blows in a week lol

Patrick

TARM

Reaction score
Yep you will need a full build if you have a PMR motor. In a way its good as you will have a fresh start with a good foundation if you do it right. My suggestion woudl be to try and find someone getting rid of a set of aftermarket rods as that is a major expense in the long block build

V-Ref

Reaction score
No build recipes from me....my advice is more rhetorical than technical.

If you REALLY need to make that power, and are truly serious about it...P162 is the only one in the thread that has posted so far that can post with 1st hand knowledge on a proven combo to do such. There's a pile of guys (myself included) that strived/are striving for 600-650 hp DD 7.3

I'm starting to see how good a bargain like P162 has for sale really is, and what it represents.

Before I'm pounced on :), please review the top 25 hp fuel only list, and Pm those fellas on what it really takes.

Good luck and be sure to post up a build thread when you start!

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Why do you need a 600hp dd Truck. If you have ever been in even a 500 hp truck they will suprise you with the way they can throw you back.

If your making a play truck or have a certain track goal you want to hit then that is different

And not to sound like a dick you but you don't even have real tunes on your truck according to your sig. I would start with basics like good tunes etc . And you need to drive or at least ride in a higher hp truck to get a real feel.I personally do not have a crazy hp truck (starting a build soon) but have driven a 520-550 6.4 and it is a wake up call compared to what you currently have.

Last edited:

shorty2tall

Reaction score
I want that much power cuz I really want a 6.4 but love my truck and either way I'll be in the cost of both trucks the same to get there. But a 6.4 has a required payment to my bank every month my 7.3 would be I buy it when I want so if something comes I don't have to worry. I'll probably go somewhere between 6-650hp and might set up spray to hit the 700. The other reason is there's so many people that think the 7.3 is a pig which to an extent it is but I wanna be able to run with the tuned 6.4's, cummins and d-max's.
And I can't see my sig I'm on my phone with tapatalk but if it still says I'm running the edge I'm not I have a ts although it's canned tunes cuz I figured why spend $100 on custom tubes when I'll be buying injectors and a hpop and all at some point over the next 6 months hopefully and pay another 100 for tunes again.

Patrick

PSDEng

Reaction score

A modded IDM

EXTREMELY GOOD TUNING

That right there could make 600+ on a dyno and be tuned to run sub 500 most of the time. If you truely want the 700hp that your title states then I would add around 10-12k for a full motor build to slap all those parts on.

Before I go ahead and write what I'm about to I want it to be known that I'm giving this information to the OP as an FYI, not to try and start any arguments or sidetrack the thread....

Anyways.....I agree with the above post concerning the injectors, fuel system (less the fact that dual pumps are needed), turbo option, and transmission. However, I don't see why compcam 910s wouldn' work....I've been running them on my 7.3 for over a year and I dynoed in at 622rwhp and 1300 ft/lbs and I've pulled an entire season with them.

Laslty....come on...we both know dual oil pumps aren't NEEDED as you have stated. There are single pump options out there....

shorty2tall

Reaction score
I'll probably go with comp cams beehive springs just for the fact I hear good and bad things about the 910s and just the idea if shimming them to get the seat pressure u want I just don't like.
The hpop I'll be going a t-500 to see what's its limits are or a t-1000 when it's available to the public and not still in the testing stages.

Patrick

woodduck97

Reaction score
Just another 7.3 owner looking to DD with mad powa LOL I hope you have another truck once you start modding it.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Haha yeah, my truck only makes in the 550 range and I'm glad I have another vehicle to drive not because it isnt reliable but because there's always something else I want to do to it

Latest posts

Members online