7.3 coolant loss and this

space_heretic

Reaction score
uja2e6y3.jpg

I have extreme coolant loss and some oil in my coolant. I pulled drivers side cover and found this. Engine dipstick doesn't show this white crap
When I went to pull glow plugs to compression test one fell off into the block. Followed by the magnet head I was using to pull it out. I know bad luck. So does anyone have any ideas? Right now I'm Leary of doing a compression test with the glow plug and magnet in there. So my questions are
Are block cracks/ cavitation generally visible?
Head gasket failure visible?
The heads will be cleaned up/magna fluxed regardless.
Is there a possibility of injector cups causing this?
Truck was scanned last week was in good health except number 8 which fail contribution test. The shop test drove it and said it ran better than most 7.3's
Truck has 341k, heads looked clean except for the white sludge.
If this is headgaskets what should I replace while I'm in there 1000 dollar budget as of now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Reaction score
7.3s always throw a contribution code for #8, generally just ignore it unless you have a misfire. Cracked blocks do happen. I would not turn the motor over at all until you get the glow plug and magnet out. Look down the push rod galley (normally where they like to fall) and you might be able to get it out by pulling the rocker arm and push rod.
Have you done a pressure test on the cooling system yet?

space_heretic

Reaction score
No I haven't I did see the coolant blow out twice when removing degas cap. Also new oil cooler about a month ago.
I did remove rocker arm and pushrod seems it's wedged and of course it did it on cylinder number 8. So it's not possible for me to look in there. I'll mess with fishing it out more but two hours of doing it I couldn't get them out.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
No I haven't I did see the coolant blow out twice when removing degas cap. Also new oil cooler about a month ago.
I did remove rocker arm and pushrod seems it's wedged and of course it did it on cylinder number 8. So it's not possible for me to look in there. I'll mess with fishing it out more but two hours of doing it I couldn't get them out.

Save yourself the trouble and pulls the head. I've spent more hours than I care to remember trying to fish glow-plug tips out, and I've never been successful.
...or depending on your location I know of a complete low mileage engine for under $1k.

Reaction score
Save yourself the trouble and pulls the head. I've spent more hours than I care to remember trying to fish glow-plug tips out, and I've never been successful.
...or depending on your location I know of a complete low mileage engine for under $1k.

x2 on pull the head. Drivers side is the easy one too. Might get lucky and find the problem in that head.

space_heretic

Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that head has the issue I remember hearing dripping inside the drivers side exhaust manifold. I'm going to pressure test cooling system before pulling heads. Perhaps run some dye in it so I can easily is the issue

Latest posts

Members online