7.3 dead in the water. help

littleredstroker

Reaction score
buddies 01 running 238/200s. He was driving and went around a corner and the truck started running like piss with CEL he pulled in the parking lot and shut it off, came back outside and no start. he just did injectors $ days ago so we figured uvch came unplugged. pulled vc to 50 cent it and they were plugged in, still no start. grabbed my scan gauge and the codes were P0475 and p0232.
Ran a buzz test , rpm went to 3k with no buzz, then each individual went up to 1500 or so - 8 times with no buzz and codes P1267, P1271, and p1273 . . . cranked to see what ICP was and it was 1600 or so so its no hpo isssue. sat with the key on reading codes for a few minutes and smelled electrical burning. The #7 injector was hot enough all the oil had smoked off the top of the solenoid , and the wiring to both vch was HOT. We are thinking smoked idm ???

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
crossed wires somewhere! id look from the injector wires all the way back to before the idm.... but i would think a fuse would have blown before everything got that hot.

live life full throttle

chris89

Reaction score
Well and wires were warm only a couple inches before the valve cover harness.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
the 232 code is fuel pump monitor circuit
the 475 is exhaust pressure control valve malfunction that just about all 7.3's have that i know of.
the 1267 is high to low side short #7 cyl shorted out
and these two are prolly due to the idm melting meaning no more connection.
the 1271 is high to low side open #1 cyl
the 1273 is high to low side open #3 cyl
if everything smells burnt like you say, prolly need a new idm, wiring harness, and uvch's
live life full throttle

Last edited:

chris89

Reaction score
I have the fuel pump rewired and the ebpv deleted. The wiring didnt seem like it was getting hot enough to melt. Matt at gearhead thought that maybe the injector shorted itself out?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
If the IDM "smells burnt"? I would swap it regardless. They are sealed, there should be no smell coming from one period.

chris89

Reaction score
You have to get pretty close to be able to smell it. But I'm trying to locate a used one.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i dont think i would dig... i would prolly take all wires hooked from the idm to the injectors out and start over...

live life full throttle

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Not me, a harness is a lot of money. All it takes is time to test it.
That's what I meant. Find the problem. Sorry if I was misunderstood. Dont ever just throw parts. Find out what went wrong; most importantly find out WHY so you can prevent a reoccurrence. Dig. Chase wires. Its probably not going to be a simple answer.

TARM

Reaction score
First thing first get the multimeter out and ohm out every pin out from the IDM connector on the harness. OF course 7 will show dead but that wire is the one I would be most concerned with in the harness. It is fully possible for it to have shorted out the IDM and have done no damage to the wiring harness. In fact that is typically how electrical systems are made as it prevents fires. The thing that should take the most power is the the wiring so everything else should burn out first to prevent a wire related fire.

Carefully visually inspect the connector and harness where you can see it. IF the ohm out is good and the wire looks good it should be fine. Replace the IDM and injector solenoid and plug it all back in and see how it does. Obviously check the number 7 OHM out with the new good injector solenoid in place to confirm that circuit.

TARM

Reaction score
Yep me too but after working in fire protection for a few years way back I got quiet good at tracing out issues etc but still there is nothing quite like dealing with auto electrical issues in computer controlled vehicles. Some times they can stump the best.

Latest posts

Members online