7.3 headers....

dietoremain

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I heard from a friend that carson makes em. and anyway yeah this truck has the irate kit so his uppipes are super slick and should give the support...hes the one obsessed with gettin the headers, Im just trying to help him out haha.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
I'm betting thqt the price for headers is so high because of simple supply and demand, look at how many people are running headers on a small block Chevy and the cost of those headers. Price would prolly drop like crazy if every 7.3 owned a set of headers.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Loved mine. They lasted about 400 miles and then fell apart. No high EGT's, no sled pulls, no passes, no Dyno runs. Just normal driving. Cracked in three different spots. The replacement set was cracked right out of the box. Stock manifolds FTW!!

littleredstroker

Reaction score
If it was a true one piece how would you take it off the truck? Your just not understanding it...

In my mind I'm not seeing a huge issue. Obviously you say there is. I didn't chew.your ass and tell to patent it and install it now. I said it was a thought, an idea. My apologies for having such inferior knowledge to someone such as yourself.

autocorrected by taptalk

02BigD

Reaction score
There is no way they could be made in one piece. These are DI headers, and their stock style uppipes with bellows;

F-350005-1.jpg

F-350006-1.jpg

They have around 40,000 miles on them now, on 2 different motor builds. No issues.

They do sound awesome IMO; Headers, 5" exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4SFJhv1ZKk&feature=relmfu

thuglike

Reaction score
If it was a true 1 piece unit you would either have to lift the cab or pull the motor to get them on and off. There isn't enough wiggle room to get the manifold/headers and uppies on and the same time. Every move you made to get one part on or off will hinder the other section.

indyF-350psd

Reaction score
In my mind I'm not seeing a huge issue. Obviously you say there is. I didn't chew.your ass and tell to patent it and install it now. I said it was a thought, an idea. My apologies for having such inferior knowledge to someone such as yourself.

autocorrected by taptalk

it is a thought ill give you that.....if the uppies and headers were one piece youd have to have the whole contraption approach directly from the rear.....there is no other way to make it happen so its either pull cab or pull the engine......dont know how many times youve had your uppies out but yanking the motor or pulling the cab everytime would get real old real fast.....not to mention if you changed turbo setups you would also have to change headers....

edit: dang you guys beat me to it.....

02BigD

Reaction score
Expanding on the last 2 posts. On the drivers side header, 2 or 3 of the bolts had to be started with the headers away from the heads because their wasn't enough room between the flanges and the pipe for the entire bolt length.

OSCS

Reaction score
Charging $900+ for something because of the "demand" sounds rediculous to me. If a fabricator could make a set for say $500 (which is more than possible) every 7.3 owner on this and every other board would be running a set and some one would be making a good chunk of change. I think it's just a lack of interest in making this mod affordable. One day a young gun with an appetite and a steady hand should design an affordable set and force people like David and steed speed to lower the 500% mark up prices.. Just my opinion

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Charging $900+ for something because of the "demand" sounds rediculous to me. If a fabricator could make a set for say $500 (which is more than possible) every 7.3 owner on this and every other board would be running a set and some one would be making a good chunk of change. I think it's just a lack of interest in making this mod affordable. One day a young gun with an appetite and a steady hand should design an affordable set and force people like David and steed speed to lower the 500% mark up prices.. Just my opinion

You sir do not understand the costs associated with design, manufacturing, fixture, etc... to make a set of these headers in a production environment. I will guarantee they are not a 500% markup. I would even go so far as to say that I bet that DI makes marginal profit on these. Steed Speed themselves probably make more profit - but they are manufactured in house cutting out a middle man - but even then its not a 500% markup when you figure in the value of the machine time and fixtures used to create these things.

Latest posts

Members online