7.3 icp issues

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Sorry its going to be a long post but giving as much info as I can. Ok I just bought this truck about a month ago everything seemed good, only issue I noticed was a little bit of a lopey idle for about 5 seconds on start up. I didnt think much of it because it would clear right up and run fine plus it has 200% nozzles. Anyway fast forward I drove it for about 2 weeks with no issues even had about 13k behind it towing a gooseneck and a skidsteer. Let my brother take it to go pick up a lawn mower he bought and he calls saying it wont start. I had it towed home and the next morning it starts right up. I drove it to work and ran some errands after work making stops at 3 places with about 45 mins of drive time all with no issues restarting. About 3 hours later go to get in and run over a buddys house and no start.

So I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this thing out. I thought the hpop took a crap and sent it out to joey but it bench tested fine, turns out my guage was crap. Got a new gauge and got everything back together with a NEW ipr and still no pressure. Mess with the harness and boom pressure. tear the harness apart and sure enough wires were burnt up. I had a spare ipr harness so I put it on and it started building pressure. Slowly built up and finally fired. Took it for a drive and did a couple wot runs and everything seemed normal. Come home, no restart. Thinking ok just need to get the air worked out and Im good. Messed with it for about 2 hours and couldnt get it to build over 320psi. Let it sit over night go out this morning hook up the battery charger and starting cranking and pressure started building. Let the batteries charge for a while and it finally starts again. Icp at idle started off at 628psi at 15% dc, after about 5 mins at idle icp was at 574psi at 16% dc. Go for a drive and cruising icp was at 1235psi at 21% dc. Wot runs were consistent at 36% dc and 2500psi. Come home go to restart and cranking icp was 120psi and dc was at 50%. Go through a couple cycles of cranking and letting it sit and still between 100-150 psi cranking. Also hpop res stays full and dummy gauge shows lpo.

Really didnt want to start a thread but Its really irritating me now and I need help lol. Thinking injector o rings now? maybe a hung up injector?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Icp so low with such a high duty cycle means you have a leak and arent building any pressure. Pull the valve covers and see if all 8 injectors are squirting oil out of the deflectors while cranking, and check around the base of the injectors. Also, check the fuel filter for oil, it will be black.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Who built the injectors?

They are p.i.s injectors

Icp so low with such a high duty cycle means you have a leak and arent building any pressure. Pull the valve covers and see if all 8 injectors are squirting oil out of the deflectors while cranking, and check around the base of the injectors. Also, check the fuel filter for oil, it will be black.

I forgot to mention I had the valve covers off while I had it running the day after it started all this crap. All the injectors appeared to putting out the same amount of oil out of the spouts, but I didnt really pay attention to the base of the injectors. Also havent had the valve covers off since then. As far as the filter I have two frame mounted filters instead of the original bowl so it would be hard to inspect the filter.

Reaction score
At wot and only making 36%duty cycle and 2400 psi I say it's o-rings. my pis 300/400's did the exact same thing with only 1k on them. No pressure and low duty cycle. I had 6 out of 8 of the top o-rings broken. New rings and back to normal. This has been a common issue with pis injectors recently. Seth has fixed multiple sets and so has Jonathan at dyno proven.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Well drain your water seperator, or just pull a filter off and pour into a clean, clear container and see if it looks like used motor oil instead of diesel.

Reaction score
Mine didn't push any oil into the fuel with the broken o-rings. I have clear sediment bowls on my filters and they were clean. His may not either. Only way I knew for sure was pulled the injectors.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Well drain your water seperator, or just pull a filter off and pour into a clean, clear container and see if it looks like used motor oil instead of diesel.

Will do that tomorrow and report back. Got fed up with it and stopped messing with the truck earlier.

What else could it really be though besides injectors or o rings? I mean the hpo system isn't really that complicated and if everything checks out off the hpop with a mechanical gauge the only way it could be losing icp in the heads would be the injectors or o rings unless I'm missing something?

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Drained the water seperator and fuel looks good. Don't mind the little particals in the cup those fell off the drain valve when I was opening it.

20150518_114636.jpg

old man dave

Reaction score
Depending on when the injectors were installed, there was a bad batch of orings released by Alliant, the oring kit supplier for Ford/IH.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Yea I just heard about that in the other o ring thread. I did not purchase these injectors they l were in the truck when I bought it but I believe he put them in about a year ago or so

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Got everything back together and it's running good again. Took it for a ride to work the air out got it home and fired back up. Idle even sounds better.

Latest posts

Members online