7.3 Lopeing Idle warm or cold

Wojo

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just picked up a 95 Automatic Powerstroke. Clean rust free Southern truck with 195000 miles on it. Brand new E4OD Trans with 12000 mile warrenty. The issue is when i start the motor warm or cold the motor will lope for 3-5 seconds. after this it will smooth out but the engine feels like it has a slight miss. not bad. but enough to shake the cab. anything above idle runs great with no surging, missing, or anything else. the truck actually feels like it has more power than it should. things that have been checked are injector buzz test passed, Contribution test passed with flying colors, No codes or CEL's. I tried starting the truck with the ICP disconnected and it still does it. I tried starting in Neutral to rule out the transmission range selector and it still does it. The truck and motor are very clean and were previously owned by a very respectable Diesel shop here in town. They tell me that some motors do it. some dont. its just something to live with. im not sure i believe this and would like to fix it if at all possible. does anybody have any ideas??? Engine Oil has 1000 miles on it and is 15-40w. Not sure what else to check and have limited diagnostics tools on hand. i am technically inclined and used to own a 6.0 and was balls deep many times in it. any ideas would be great.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Also, try running the truck with the icp unplugged, and while its unplugged, check inside the connector for oil, if its oily, replace it

Wojo

Reaction score
Power-Struck: The wiring looked good and there are no resistors installed. The diesel shop only owned the truck for 5 months before selling it. they purchase semis all over the us at auction and were going to use it to drive to the auctions and then tow it back with the semi. after the first couple trips they decided it was cheaper to fly.

ghohouston: ICP looked good. even if it was bad wouldnt unplugging it fix the issue anyways because it defaults the computer??

JD3020: it doesnt sound like that. its a much quicker lope and sounds alot like a diesel that starts at -15 with cold injectors. just without the smoke.

Wojo

Reaction score
WHen this guy switches to a hot tune on this truck it starts to quick lope. thats what my truck does for the first 3-5 seconds being started and then cleares up.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited:

Wojo

Reaction score
This truck sounds exactly like mine when it starts. it lopes for the first couple seconds and clears up. it is also a 95. he starts the truck at 2:16 so if you wanna skip the crap start around there.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Wojo

Reaction score
gohouston: if you read the original post. i had already tried unplugging the ICP. issue stayed the same

Wojo

Reaction score
this truck does the EXACT same thing. warm or cold. still does it. just like this guy.

YouTube Video

Wojo

Reaction score
im wondering if this has anything to do with the stock tuning in the pcm. seems like its a 95 thing. would switching to a 97 pcm help out at all??

Wojo

Reaction score
Cmon Guys. would really like to fix this. there must be something i can do.

always-strokin

Reaction score
Welcome to owning an OBS powerstroke. Judging by the videos you are posting, its normal. Cleaning the FPR screen might help you some. Some claim the Swamps IDM helps that some... but its normal at least in my experience

Mines a 97 fyi.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online