7.3 manual to automatic

sickslow

Reaction score
One of my friends has a 2000 7.3 powerstroke with a manual trans in it and he is wanting to swap it to an auto. The truck inly has 80,000 miles on it so he doesn't want to sell the truck to go buy an auto. Would we have to chance the pcm or anything or what all is involved with doing this swap? Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2000wa250

Reaction score
Just buy a pcs controller. Much easier to tune and much more user friendly. Plus you don't have to worry about pcm and wiring harness

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

sickslow

Reaction score
Marion, nc. Its 45 minutes from Asheville or 2 hours from charlotte

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
who in there right mind would swap a standard for an automatic. Honestly i dont understand.

I can have my cake and eat it to... I can manually shift my auto.

Because it sucks having 550 hp and getting your doors blown off by a 350 hp auto.

Nailed it !

Try driving 550hp with an approriate sized charger with big sticks and a clumbsy DD clutch and report back, then do the same with a built auto.

big_stroker

Reaction score
You girls needs to stop whining and just learn how to drive a manual the right way LOL

But really I understand why your wanting to do it. I miss my auto some days when I want to go fast, but then I drive my buddies 7.3 auto and remember why I did the swap to the manual.

02BigD

Reaction score
Year to year is a little different, for my 02;

Automatic transmission, spacer and transfer case
Automatic transmission tunnel for the cab.
Automatic brake pedal.
Automatic engine and chassis harnesses
Automatic PCM.
Automatic steering column surround and shifter.

The "PRND21" were already on the dash, just covered.

On edit; need new carpet too.

Last edited:

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I'm about to do this with my truck right now. The only things I know of that are NEEDED to do the swap are,
-Transmission/ Transfer Case
-Adapter Plate
-Auto Flywheel
-Auto Alignment Dowels
-Shift Cable
-Column Shifter and misc. pieces/ or auto steering column
-PCS or Auto PCM and trans harness

That's about all I can remember right now. I would definitely go with a PCS over an auto pcm and trans harness, much more control and much easier to put together. The trans cross member can be re used, manual brake petal is fine and the driveshafts stay the same. I'm leaving my floor alone because there's really no reason to weld in an auto trans tunnel and buy new carpet unless you want it to look completely factory. I'm going to just cover the shifter hole in my floor with a metal plate, some scrap carpet and see how well it blends into the rest of the floor.

sethc24

Reaction score
I can have my cake and eat it to... I can manually shift my auto.

Nailed it !

Try driving 550hp with an approriate sized charger with big sticks and a clumbsy DD clutch and report back, then do the same with a built auto.

ah did not think about that aspect. Makes sense though.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Id trade my auto setup with low mile tranny for his zf6 hed have everything needed. Pm me if interested

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online