7.3 mild power build

Thumper97

Reaction score
I'm working on an obs 97 f 250 5 speed 4wd. looking for a set of good injectors and hpop to start with. So far the truck is stock with an afe intake and mbrp 3 in down pipe to 4 in dump at rear of the cab and a wildman tuned ts chip. Any suggestions on where to pick up these parts would be very helpful.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Just put a set of Hybrids 250/100 or 238/80 in there along with a Adrenaline HPOP..

Can be anywhere from lower then stock HP to 500+ RWHP with the 250/100 Injectors.. With the right supporting mods that is..

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
200/80's and a d66

If you go to hybrids and 80% nozzles.. Why stop with 200cc injectors??? When you can get 238 or 250cc Injectors with the same nozzle??? He would have a little more room to grow.. AND there would be a little "cusion" for the Plunger..

Besides it make no sense going with 200cc Hybrids when you can get a 238 or 250cc Injector with the same nozzle on it....

Last edited:

ToMang07

Reaction score
If you go to hybrids and 80% nozzles.. Why stop with 200cc injectors??? When you can get 238 or 250cc Injectors with the same nozzle??? He would have a little more room to grow.. AND there would be a little "cusion" for the Plunger..

Besides it make no sense going with 200cc Hybrids when you can get a 238 or 250cc Injector with the same nozzle on it....

^Agreed. 250/200 and a 38R....then a HPOP....:thumbup:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
^Agreed. 250/200 and a 38R....then a HPOP....:thumbup:

250/200 , t4 mount s366 , srp1.1 be done

LOL you guys... If you go with a 200% nozzle why stop with a 250cc injector... The very first injector I got were 300/200 and looking back i wish I would have got a 350/200 to 450/200 With ALL the High speed mods that could be done to it...

Just saying.....

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I like where your heads at and couldn't agree more! I want 465/200 firehoses like old Tarms got! And those injectors can be tuned all the way up or all the way to stock. No reason not to if you can afford it!

bruce

Reaction score
because the op said 400-450 horse. the 200's use less oil so i think his stock 15 degree hpop would push them.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I like where your heads at and couldn't agree more! I want 465/200 firehoses like old Tarms got! And those injectors can be tuned all the way up or all the way to stock. No reason not to if you can afford it!

Yes Tarms Injectors would be sweet!!! I could not agree more...

because the op said 400-450 horse. the 200's use less oil so i think his stock 15 degree hpop would push them.

Yes BUT why go 200cc injectors when you can but a 238 to 250cc injector with the same nozzle as the 200cc????

AND its all in the tunning.. Would not matter if he put 400/400 on there his HPOP would keep up IF the tunning made it....

Just because you have the fuel does not mean you are going to use it all..

For what its worth the OP could put a set off hybrid injectors on his pickup with 200% nozzles.. And make more power with less fuel.. AND @ the same time take less oil.. Why?? Because he can inject the same amount of fuel in less time!!

We are talking Electronic contral here not mecanical injection.. Its all in the tunning....

Beside there is no point in buying small hybrids. The pushing them ALL the way, as far as they can go!! When you can buy a little bigger ones and have a cusion at the end of each plunger stroke... Better all the way around.. Plus Less stress on the injector.. which is better to...

TARM

Reaction score
I could be wrong here but as I understand it the reason you see 238cc so much is that is the default vol you get when you build a basic hybrid injector. I would just go with a standard 238/100. There are great base tunes out there from a number of tuners. My vote is for Matt. I have seen setups with his 100% 38R tunes and they were super clean super low smoke. High EGTs were non-exisitant. Hold the pedal down and egts never went over 1200 in all the all out race tune.

A couple things you may want to consider besides the big power adder parts:

CC 910-16 valve springs + shim kit and micrometer IMO this is mandatory
Push rods since you would have it apart for the springs.

Up to you on studs. If you plan to ever go higher and can budget it might as well have the insurance. If you are not going to go over then its up to you.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Yes Tarms Injectors would be sweet!!! I could not agree more...

Yes BUT why go 200cc injectors when you can but a 238 to 250cc injector with the same nozzle as the 200cc????

AND its all in the tunning.. Would not matter if he put 400/400 on there his HPOP would keep up IF the tunning made it....

Just because you have the fuel does not mean you are going to use it all..

For what its worth the OP could put a set off hybrid injectors on his pickup with 200% nozzles.. And make more power with less fuel.. AND @ the same time take less oil.. Why?? Because he can inject the same amount of fuel in less time!!

We are talking Electronic contral here not mecanical injection.. Its all in the tunning....

Beside there is no point in buying small hybrids. The pushing them ALL the way, as far as they can go!! When you can buy a little bigger ones and have a cusion at the end of each plunger stroke... Better all the way around.. Plus Less stress on the injector.. which is better to...

With a 200cc injector a stock "good" 17* hpop will hold 3000psi all day. It is the perfect injector for someone that never plans to go to 500hp. Never plans on studs and springs. It can be tuned for 400hp all day with little to worry about. (there are always chances)

I remember when everyone jumped on the "everyone but 230 hybrid" wagon. But do you realize just what tuning would be to run 400/400's when you only want 400'ish hp???

If you go with a 200% nozzle why stop with a 250cc injector... The very first injector I got were 300/200 and looking back i wish I would have got a 350/200 to 450/200 With ALL the High speed mods that could be done to it...

And why try to get such a large capacity on the injector if it can not come close to using it? Why get an injector that can not empty past 1500-2000rpm??

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
Headroom for the future.. also a 400/200 or nates 465/200 with all his fast mods will empty more fuel, faster with better atomization through a 200% tip wile keeping the injector cooler over a standard 250/200. Dramatically more? No. But If you want the best....

TARM

Reaction score
With a 200cc injector a stock "good" 17* hpop will hold 3000psi all day. It is the perfect injector for someone that never plans to go to 500hp. Never plans on studs and springs. It can be tuned for 400hp all day with little to worry about. (there are always chances)

I remember when everyone jumped on the "everyone but 230 hybrid" wagon. But do you realize just what tuning would be to run 400/400's when you only want 400'ish hp???

And why try to get such a large capacity on the injector if it can not come close to using it? Why get an injector that can not empty past 1500-2000rpm??

As far as I know its the nozzle size not the injector fuel capacity that effects hpop volume need the most. Two injectors both programed with the same PW ones a 200cc 100% the other is a 400cc again with a 100% nozzle both with the same 2ms @ 3000 psi Do they both in theory not inject the same amount of fuel in the same amount of time and therefore use the same volume of HPOP oil. As you pointed out for a given nozzle size you only have some much reasonable injector PW to work with so having more or less capacity is only a issue if you have too little never too much.

I do not personally think people with basically street trucks should be running 400% unless they tune themselves or live in easy driving distance and are willing to pay for live tuning to get it right. Not saying it can not be done as I am sure it has. I just think you may have to live with some things not ideal for a street truck. At the same time I believe I recall a couple tuners and people having 400% with basically stock or very small air upgrades 38r etc.. Maybe I am wrong on this. As far as tuning goes my guess as I am not a tuner would be that you can only go so low with PW so then adjustments to ICP would be made to get the volume of fuel injected to the amount needed for the more limited air. The way I look at it if you can make a huge injector idle which means next to no fuel being injected anything above that should be reasonably doable its just not what is the norm people are use to seeing or doing.

I see there is limited reasons to go to super huge capacities if you never plan on making changes/upgrades in nozzle size to use all that fuel. But I think having some extra fuel above what you can inject is a good idea all the way around. I am far from being experienced with the inner workings of our injectors but from what I have been told as well it stands to reason that running a injector to flat out empty vs having some buffer would not be the best setup. The stock injectors with stock tuning had extra capacity vs what was used for injection.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Thumper-

You owe yourself a phone call to Cary @ CT Performance, he's got quite a bit of time/experience with the OBS trucks.

Looks like you might be near Carson Stauffer? He'd be worth looking up too.

Have you had a chance to ride/drive the inj/turbo combo your thinking of....if not, that's a great way to get a feel for your investment prior to taking the plunge.

A local dyno event or performance diesel shop might be able to point you towards a truck that's built like you'd like yours to be.

I've had real good luck with my experiences with the vendors on here. Just do your math/research (asking for opinions on here can help for sure), talk to a couple different vendors, and go for it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.