7.3 obs or SD, or just go up to 6.0?

swinky

Reaction score
Gotcha. I'm no transmission builder I just know what I see and how people's trucks perform. I see a ton of 6.4 transmissions taking abuse while the 6.0 trans doesn't really hold up as well as the 6.4's do. More than likely tuning then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 6.4 tunes the trans more independently I believe. I agree they seem to hold up better.

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
If the question is 7.3 or 6.0...6.0 by far!

Sent from Holderdown Performance iPhone Command Center

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
Basic on each like intake, exhaust and custom tunes...
7.3 is about 315rwhp
6.0 is about 415 rwhp

And yes they are

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
Every truck is a little different and I am using their "hot" tunes as a reference

fordmansteven

Reaction score
Not sure if your interested but I have a 2000 f350 larait eclb with only 46, xxx miles on it that I am going to put up forsale. It has never been abused or run in the snow. It has an 80 hp superchip with a straight pipe exhaust. If u might be interested in it just pm me.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Drove and broke too many 6.0's to ever waste a dime on one. 7.3 or a 6.7. For the price of one blown 6.4 motor you can get a decent 7.3 (complete truck) and still afford mods.

swinky

Reaction score
Drove and broke too many 6.0's to ever waste a dime on one. 7.3 or a 6.7. For the price of one blown 6.4 motor you can get a decent 7.3 (complete truck) and still afford mods.
Explain broke? My truck has 230k on it and has made over 100 passes at the track around 30 of them at over 600 hp and haven't had a single issue that bulletproofing and a trans won't take care of.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Yuhpp. Put a light tow tune on it and let her eat. Don't be afraid of 03-04 6.0s though, they're usually a lot cheaper. Obviously they have leafs and the turning radius sucks but the rumors about the motor being less reliable is nonsense.

So, we are supposed to believe you over someone who works on them everyday?:doh:
I like how people who have owned one or two know more than a reputable vendor does. Don't expect Golfer to be back in here, the only thought I have on what Dave said is that I think, but I'm not certain, that there are a lot of 6leakers compared to 6.4L's, but as much fun as it would be to buy a 6.4 delete it, add a tune and gain 300hp I couldn't chance a motor failure with my wallet.

On a second note, I just bought a 2004 Jayco 30' fith wheel, it grosses out at 8k, I think the only way your going to be at 15k is with a toy hauler loaded.

psduser1

Reaction score
Basic on each like intake, exhaust and custom tunes...
7.3 is about 315rwhp
6.0 is about 415 rwhp

And yes they are

Uh, hp wise I'd agree. Durability, and flatout working, not so much.3k in a 7.3, and drive for 150k miles, gtg. 3k in a 6.0, and make great power, till you break something, lol.
So, we are supposed to believe you over someone who works on them everyday?:doh:
I like how people who have owned one or two know more than a reputable vendor does. Don't expect Golfer to be back in here, the only thought I have on what Dave said is that I think, but I'm not certain, that there are a lot of 6leakers compared to 6.4L's, but as much fun as it would be to buy a 6.4 delete it, add a tune and gain 300hp I couldn't chance a motor failure with my wallet.

On a second note, I just bought a 2004 Jayco 30' fith wheel, it grosses out at 8k, I think the only way your going to be at 15k is with a toy hauler loaded.

Jayco isn't that heavy of a trailer, no matter what size, lol. There's a lot of trailers over 12k, once you get into anything past weekend campers!

pullandpray

Reaction score
You'll be able to pull it fine 7.3 or 6.0 or 6.4 or 6.7. Having owned all of them I love my 7.3 deff miss the room of a SD tho. But the looks of obs trucks are just amazing in my eyes. I hated my 6.7, I like my 6.0 I have never towed much with it and its been deleted since i have owned it. And I really miss my 6.4 almost every time I tow with my 7.3 I think of how my 6.4 would drag anything. If it was me buying another truck again it would be a super clean SD 7.3 f350 auto without a doubt if you want to haul ass just buy a car. There is honestly nothing you can't hook a mild built 7.3 to and not tow day in and day out for hundreds of thousands of miles and not have to worry about it. Just my .02

swinky

Reaction score

Myself, brother, dad and uncle have 03-04s with over 150k on them. So I personally know the history of them. People that work on them everyday get lied to about what the truck has been through. They're taken care of, not abused.... Think what you want.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Myself, brother, dad and uncle have 03-04s with over 150k on them. So I personally know the history of them. People that work on them everyday get lied to about what the truck has been through. They're taken care of, not abused.... Think what you want.
So your experience is what? 4-8 trucks? Hardly a good representation of the 6.0 as a whole. Ftr, I have never owned one, but I would trust swamps over your experience.

bruce

Reaction score
I feel like the reason aftermarket shops see more 6.0's is because there are more of them, and the average owner might have a bit more money, maybe be an older gentleman, that might be weary of taking their truck anywhere besides the dealership.

Spoolin'

Reaction score
So your experience is what? 4-8 trucks? Hardly a good representation of the 6.0 as a whole. Ftr, I have never owned one, but I would trust swamps over your experience.

Then why are you even discussing it? Good for you. Trust whoever you want. I don't care who they are or what they do saying "I see more 6.0s in the shop than anything else" as a basis for an argument is foolish.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.