7.3 quits

drmajor

Reaction score
7.3 D. 2000, 153,000 miles.

Pulling onto interstate after about 3 miles of surface roads and at about 55 mph.... the motor quit. No peddle position helped. Put in neutral, turned switch off and back on and cranked right up... no more issues.

Put in new fuel filter and cleaned (AirRaid) the air filter. Engine seemed happier.

Today, about 1 mile from house, the motor went to about 500 RPM- didn’t quit like before. Would not take fuel. Pulled off, put in neutral and then the it would take throttle. No more issues for rest of day.

Only common denominator- <45 degree temperature both times.

Suggestions?

drmajor

Reaction score
Fuel is new/clean that I know of. New fuel filter and Air filter.
After it quits and restarts- works fine. Only seems to happen when temps are below 45...

Could there be water in fuel doing funny things when cooler. No freezing weather- never below 35 here this year.

drmajor

Reaction score
Wouldn't most of these be consistent- all the time?

This only has happened about 3 times and always below 45 degrees.

jbkingranch

Reaction score
Bad throttle position switch on the pedal? Or idle validation switch? Also on the pedal.

I agree with yzrmbsg. That's not a fuel problem. Electronic! If it just quit and started back up my first thought would be a camshaft position sensor, had a service truck that would die for no reason and start back up. That ended up being the issue. Now if it would run and not rev up that has to be a in the pedal.

DocBar

Reaction score
I'd be looking at the throttle position sensor. Mine did crazy stuff when it was going out. Easy fix if that's the problem.

DocBar

Reaction score
I agree with yzrmbsg. That's not a fuel problem. Electronic! If it just quit and started back up my first thought would be a camshaft position sensor, had a service truck that would die for no reason and start back up. That ended up being the issue. Now if it would run and not rev up that has to be a in the pedal.
My truck would rev to redline or fall flat on its face when my TPS was going out. No rhyme or reason to it.

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
You might be able to just pull the pedal and spray the hell out of it with some electical cleaner.....thats all I did with mine, haven't had any issues since.

Latest posts

Members online