7.3 Sucking noise under light throttle

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
Normal. It stays on until 15% throttle and the truck will keep using it under 15% until the oil temp hits 142.
So, if it's always using it when I'm under 15% throttle, then logic would suggest that my oil isn't warming up. Is this bad, and what do I do about it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
So I see that I could purchase a "******" part for it. What benefit does the "******" give me over just unplugging (besides the obvious fact that there's less stuff clogging my exhaust)?

If I were just to unplug it, is the engine still going to pump oil into it, and would it still leak oil if it already does (which I have no idea, but w/ 224k I can probably assume it is)?

It removes that component from the truck altogether. I did that ten years ago and i dont miss that stupid ***kin thing. I bought a blank turbo pedestal(100bucks) and i took the valve off the turbo, cut the butterfly out of it, lopped a 1/2 chunk of dowel off each end of the butterfly and welded them back into the turbine outlet.

TyCorr

Reaction score
So, if it's always using it when I'm under 15% throttle, then logic would suggest that my oil isn't warming up. Is this bad, and what do I do about it?

Plug the truck in. Check your thermostat as if your engine is getting warm the oil should be.

Last resort: cover your grille with cardboard or a cold front to keep cold air iff if it.

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
Plug the truck in. Check your thermostat as if your engine is getting warm the oil should be.

Last resort: cover your grille with cardboard or a cold front to keep cold air iff if it.
Always plug it in, I'll have to look into the thermostat

TyCorr

Reaction score
Then you got problems. I never plug mine in. I removed the cord in 2007. Does nothing for me but spin my electric meter like a deli meat slicer.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I'd just unplug the thing in the pedestal while the keys are off. Plugging the truck in only gets them to about 80* at night right now and that's with a brand new element last year. If your coolant temp gauge is reaching normal, which is a touch over half, then it should be turning off. If not check thermostat or use an election yard sign behind the grill.

Last edited:

albertjcoutts

Reaction score
I'd just unplug the thing in the pedestal while the keys are off. Plugging the truck in only gets them to about 80* at night right now and that's with a brand new element last year. If your coolant temp gauge is reaching normal, which is a touch over half, then it should be turning off. If not check thermostat or use an election yard sign behind the grill.
Coolant temp gauge is running normal, truck heats up quickly, blows hot air, all of that. Ironically, since I posted about this yesterday today on the way to work it didn't make the noise. I at least know now what the noise is and what it's doing.

Latest posts

Members online