7.3 trouble starting in cold

mrdeisel335

Reaction score
In cold weather, I try to start my 2000 7.3 powerstroke and it won't fire or anything. I found out that the glow plugs were bad and the relay was bad. I changed the plugs and the relay. That did not fix my problem. I try to start the engine but it won't start. It won't fire. It cranks smoothly and lots of white smoke out the exhaust. A friend of mine told me my IPR might be bad but I'm not sure. I need help. Can you help me?

neverkickn

Reaction score
How many miles do you have on the motor and injectors?

How cold are we talking about?

mrdeisel335

Reaction score
My truck is a 2000 F250 super duty with the 7.3 powerstroke. I just hit 243,800 miles. The weather I'm talking about is anything colder than 40 degrees. A friend told me my IPR might be bad, or the ICM, or something relating to oil pressure to the injectors.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
do you ever plug the truck in? does it start and run ok? usually bad injectors will eventually start but run rough/skip. heres one think you can test, cross the 2 big terminals on the GPR so that forces the plugs to come on any way. do that for about 25-30 seconds and see if it will fire, if it does start then your plugs arent coming on and if its a fuse/wiring issue i guess youll have to figure that out.

mrdeisel335

Reaction score
I do plug my truck in when it's cold. The engine runs completely smooth the way it should and it has that distinctive missing that all these powerstrokes have. It's just the starting issue.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
im not sure if completely smooth and distincive missing belong in the same sentence lol try crossing the relay and go from there on a cold start.

mrdeisel335

Reaction score
The engine runs the way it should even when cold. It just won't start, when cold, without any outside assistance. I'm sure the situation involves a high pressure oil problem.

neverkickn

Reaction score
The engine runs the way it should even when cold. It just won't start, when cold, without any outside assistance. I'm sure the situation involves a high pressure oil problem.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Do you have a question or did you start this thread to inform others?

Latest posts

Members online